Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wedding guest quilt in lieu of guest book?

wedding guest quilt in lieu of guest book?

My cousin is getting married and rather than a guest book at the reception she wants to have quilt squares that the guests can sign. The squares can then be sewn into a quilt. It's a charming idea, but I'm looking for suggestions as to how to do this: Fabric squares and micron pens for guests to use? Should the fabric be stabilized first with fusible stabilizer? Any ideas for putting the said squares into a quilt? Has anyone seen this done?

Sorry, no suggestions myself, but the current issue of McCall's Quilting has a wedding quilt, with suggestions on how to set up the blocks for signatures, etc. Gorgeous quilt, there's a picture here: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal..._Quilt_Pattern
    QMFAO

I did this once for a birthday. Just make sure that a line is drawn around the squares so that they don't use the whole block and get cut off. I did n't use stabilizer on mine and it worked.
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

Either buy the prestabilized fabric made for computer printing or iron fabric on to freezer paper. Cut in squares and provide pens. Try to get people to avoid going all the way to edge of fabric, though some probably will whatever you say. Hate to have writing go into the seam allowance. It could be lovely!

Yes, that's a great idea. I recently helped a friend put together blocks that were signed at her son's wedding. It's going to make a beautiful quilt, and has signatures and best wishes from all their friends and families. I'm sure he and his wife will cherish that quilt forever.

I agree with LynnVT about ironing the fabric onto freezer paper first to help stabilize it. Also, adding a line, like Mona Marie suggested, would be a great idea so the guests would keep their comments and signatures within a certain space. As for what to have guests sign with, I find that the sharp-point Sharpie pens work well and the ink is permanent once it's heat set.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

We have made several of these at my church. We ironed freezer paper to the back of the fabric for stabilizing, works great. Good luck

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I did a log cabin table runner and had at family reunion sign and date it on the "logs" The center panel was a picture of the real log cabin where we all started from. We used pigma pens. I stabilized it by ironing freezer paper to the back and removed it before quilting. It was done in black and white...Turned out beautiful! Carol

Blog Entries
    Or is you don't want to draw all the lines- cut out squares of paper to lay on top of the fabric so the guests can use it as a "window" to sign within. Also Sharpies can run and spread when used on fabrics so you might want to stay away from them
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I hate to have to throw this in . . . but make sure all the guests know to use ONLY the pen(s) you provide . . . and to not accidentally pocket one of those pens, after signing. Many people, used to using their own pens, just automatically return a pen to its accustomed pocket or purse. Maybe you could hot-glue a feather or something, to the end of the pen, as a gentle reminder.

No ideas, but it sure sounds like a great thing to do....for our 50 wedding anni they had a very large clay pot and had everyone sign it....then I sprayed it with a sealer and put bark chips in and planted an orchid...
    Nancy

I've seen this done and think its a wonderful idea. You can get help here and google it. Hope I remember this when it become reality for my son.

My experience with Sharpies on fabric was not good either.
    Dayle

QM
    I did this for my son's wedding reception. I made a heart wreath wall hanging on which I embroidered MY wishes for their marriage. I thought about micron pens, but those can be very frustrating for the uninitiated, so I provided fine point sharpies in 5 or 6 colors. One person at my table offered to take it to the next table....and so on. Nearly everyone signed. One of the first people to sign drew around her toddler's hand, then signed and wrote well wishes inside that. Subsequently, several others did as well. Perhaps because there were several pens and they don't look like everyone's normal pens, I did not have any pens disappear. My daughter in law and her mother, as well as several wedding guests told me how much they liked the idea.

My original idea was just to give the couple my wall hanging. The signature idea was an afterthought from my DH, but a huge improvement.

An idea that may be completely off base, just an idea-what about making the quilt and then having people sign the finished quilt and then the wedding couple could take it home with them? Or would the fear of someone messing up a square as they sign, spilling punch on the quilt...ok, now I'm having visions of everything that could go wrong with that idea.

Blog Entries
    My sister and I are currently making a signature quilt for family reunion. We took 6 in muslin square and placed 5 in charm diagonally in the corners. We are going to complete quilt prior to reunion. If something happens to it, it will just add to family lore. We are using this pattern found on the net: http://www.bethanyreynolds.com/Kidsquilt/Kidsquilt.html
    Sewflower

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I looked at the quilt the school kids made and was impressed by how nice it looked and especially how easy the quilt is to make. 3 pieces and two seams in each block! Wow!!! I think I will do that when I need a signature quilt. It's so easy, you can make it before the big day so no one will write into the 1/4" seams. And if grade school kids can make it, anyone can. What a great teacher!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

that sounds like a very interesting idea
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I ironed freezer paper to the back of several large white squares of fabric, then gave them to my daughter to have her 2 children draw and color pictures through out the year, ( holidays and seasons) so I could make each of them a quilt. It worked out really well.

QM
    If you are going with the prepared fabric on freezer paper, I would recommend drawing a line 1/2" from the edge all the way around. !/4 for seam allowance, 1/4 for ravelling etc.

I think it is easier to make the quilt in advance, however, because most people in this day and age have no idea what a signature block is for.

What I for my wedding had planned on doing is to take this wall hanging wedding themed quilt my hubbys grandma made for our wedding with our names on it and on the back we planned on having people sign or write messages but it would have been too small for the size of wedding we had. it was a small wall hanging of probably 30" at most square. if we had a smaller wedding I definitely would have done this. I also second the idea of making the quilt up before hand and then having people write their messages or sign for the couple. this is the best way to do it. and the simplest. and I would just have a top made up and not have it quilted yet. especially if you are like me and love starch. I would also suggest getting the finest tipped sharpie marker you can get. those work the best. I have used them on fabric for my kids to color the picture in. my dd got a hold of a regular sharpie and it bled really bad in the fabric. this is just my two cents of course.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    I cut up 6" blocks and had our guest sign them at my daughter's college graduation party. I put out sandpaper glued on to clip boards for people to write on, so the fabric wouldn't slip around. I used fabric pens and then some fine point Sharpies. I had tested by washing over and over the fine point Sharpies on scraps and they did not wash out nor run. In the picture, you can see how I pieced them along with some college memorabilia and some applique. My daughter loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kathdavis; 04-24-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!