Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding quilt >

Wedding quilt

Wedding quilt

Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 AM

Wandering Foot and Carolina Lily?????I have to look these up and see what you are talking about...thanks
Originally Posted by redmadder
Let's see. Drunkards Path or Wandering Foot are frowned upon. Otherwise it'll be whatever you like. I let my SIL chose the colors and made them a Carolina Lily. It was displayed in the middle of the gift table.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 AM

I will add that although you can make whatever your heart desires, don't do something that looks to difficult!

And really don't let them pick it out! I'm still working on a quilt that my friend picked as her wedding quilt and 4 years later I'm still not done it. I let her pick and there is honestly not a single piece in that thing that is over 2 inches wide. I did decide though that it is no longer going to be a queen sized but a lap... it's taken this long to get that many squares done. Now I'm using the rest of the cut peices for a piano key border. I still am a little mad that she handed me back what I originally got her and told me that she didn't want it she only wanted a quilt.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 AM

I love love love Log Cabin. It is my favorite block and i collect every book i see has them:)
Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Ive made two wedding gift quilts and did log cabin pattern in whites and creams. They were thrilled with the quilts and the colors will go with any decor.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Charming
Is there any other specific quilt pattern to make as a gift for wedding (like double wedding ring)? Or can it be any pattern. I just need to make something that is very very special for a wedding.

Thanks for any advice.
You can make any pattern. Some people choose wedding/love related patterns because of the connotation of the name. They're several versions of the wedding ring quilt now. There's the "traditional wedding ring" (sometimes called "English Wedding Ring". There's also several modern versions that attempt to echo the curves of the double wedding ring with straight piecing. Check out the "Modern Wedding Ring at McCall's. (http://www.mccallsquilting.com/quick...n_Wedding_Ring) or "Monet's Wedding Ring" by Judy Martin (viewer pics here - scroll down to Scraps section and then Monet's Wedding Ring - http://www.judymartin.com/Viewer-Photos.cfm)

But you can also make any other one you want. Say the young couple will be making their home in Ohio. You could use Ohio Star blocks or Buckeye Beauty blocks. Say the couple's names are Sarah and Jacob - use Sarah's Choice and Jacob's Ladder blocks. If they're named Sue and Fred, you could do a Sunbonnet Sue and a Farmer Fred quilt. Or you could base the pattern on their occupations or likes.

Or pick any easy pattern to do and use the colors of the wedding or colors they'll have in their living room or bedroom (depending on if you're making a throw or a bed quilt). What you do is up to you.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 AM

Oh no....this one is actually for my brother so as long as it is in like 2 nuetral colors then he will love it. Sorry about what you are doing...i won't do it any longer. That's just me
Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
I will add that although you can make whatever your heart desires, don't do something that looks to difficult!

And really don't let them pick it out! I'm still working on a quilt that my friend picked as her wedding quilt and 4 years later I'm still not done it. I let her pick and there is honestly not a single piece in that thing that is over 2 inches wide. I did decide though that it is no longer going to be a queen sized but a lap... it's taken this long to get that many squares done. Now I'm using the rest of the cut peices for a piano key border. I still am a little mad that she handed me back what I originally got her and told me that she didn't want it she only wanted a quilt.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 AM

Thank you so much. I loved the one by McCall
Originally Posted by qbquilts
Originally Posted by Charming
Is there any other specific quilt pattern to make as a gift for wedding (like double wedding ring)? Or can it be any pattern. I just need to make something that is very very special for a wedding.

Thanks for any advice.
You can make any pattern. Some people choose wedding/love related patterns because of the connotation of the name. They're several versions of the wedding ring quilt now. There's the "traditional wedding ring" (sometimes called "English Wedding Ring". There's also several modern versions that attempt to echo the curves of the double wedding ring with straight piecing. Check out the "Modern Wedding Ring at McCall's. (http://www.mccallsquilting.com/quick...n_Wedding_Ring) or "Monet's Wedding Ring" by Judy Martin (viewer pics here - scroll down to Scraps section and then Monet's Wedding Ring - http://www.judymartin.com/Viewer-Photos.cfm)

But you can also make any other one you want. Say the young couple will be making their home in Ohio. You could use Ohio Star blocks or Buckeye Beauty blocks. Say the couple's names are Sarah and Jacob - use Sarah's Choice and Jacob's Ladder blocks. If they're named Sue and Fred, you could do a Sunbonnet Sue and a Farmer Fred quilt. Or you could base the pattern on their occupations or likes.

Or pick any easy pattern to do and use the colors of the wedding or colors they'll have in their living room or bedroom (depending on if you're making a throw or a bed quilt). What you do is up to you.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 AM

Thank you all for your bright ideas. You are really a bunch of inspiring people, good to clear minds, sort of a therapy session...lol
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM

The quilt we received as a wedding gift was a Grandmother's Flower Garden with the lattice look. I think the main reason we got that one was that it was the one she was working on when we told DMIL that we were getting married. It really most likely should have gone to DSIL since it had fabric from her candy striper uniform and some of her other clothes. But DSIL got one too when she got married, it just didn't have the sentimental fabrics included. We used it for more than 20 years before it started getting threadbare and was retired.

So go with whatever quilt you want to make. It will be loved and appreciated and used.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Anything you want. I just attended a wedding to where both the bride and groom liked John Deers tractors. They had the reception in the grooms John Deere museum, so I made a quilt using John Deere fabric. The pattern I used was the Turning 20, however I made it bigger. They loved it.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 AM

I'm using Thinking Outside the Block to make 40 x 40 wallhangings for my nephew & my cousin as wedding gifts. The pattern is based on a log cabin pattern. I'm using 5 colors: 2 of his fave colors & 2 of hers & a print in the center with all 4 colors. To me it represents the two people (their individual colors) becoming one (their colors in the print fabric ). Here's a link to one that I have ready to quilt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-116859-1.htm and here's a link to the 2 in the planning stages: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111232-1.htm