Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weighted panel quilt >

Weighted panel quilt

Weighted panel quilt

Old 05-26-2018, 05:11 AM

I made a weighted blanket several years ago. Like another has suggested, I'd use your panel as a cover and, if you want it fastened to the weighted part, finish it by tying. You won't need to launder the entire piece that way. I can't imagine trying to handle the weighted blanket when it needs laundering and this would give extra life to the weighted part. If you want quilting as a feature, perhaps create that and add a single layer to the back so the weighted part can be slid inside.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:15 AM

Here's another one from SewforEasy. She couches a muslin pellet-filled duvet type of insert into the two fabric layers which might be another consideration, particularly when it's time to wash the quilt. Also on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l5CaTOINOA

A bit of effort, but I understand the quilts are greatly effective for the stressed, emotionally challenged, etc. of all ages (say 3 years on up), She also gives a guideline that the added weight should equal about 10% of the person's body weight.

You go, Girl!

This has sparked my imagination and I might see what the need is in our community.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:17 AM

Your quilt looks great so far. I like the idea of the flying geese and log cabin blocks. I agree with the others that your best bet may be making that a "duvet cover" for the weighted blanket. I made a weighted blanket for my friend with fibro myalagia. She loves it, but I wish I had thought of a cover.

And welcome to be board from Northern CA. I have learned a LOT from these wonderful, generous people!!
Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 AM

welcome! straight seams, nice and square, you are doing great, I hope you continue on with the craft.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Brilliant idea
Old 05-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Thank you all for your support and kind comments . I do think the duvet idea might be best. Since I will still add the batting, it would have the option of being just a regular quilt when he doesn't want the weight or when its hot. I have all summer to work on this so I'll think about my options as I work on finishing the panels and squares. I made one of the log cabins but it came out a little wonky, so I might redo it. Now I'll need to look at how I will go about making a duvet cover.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Welcome from Texas. This is the right board to come to for answers to your questions. Here's a you tube from Man Sewing that shows how to make a weighted blanket & I hope this helps you. It's been a while since I've watched the video so not sure if it will answer all your questions but I think it will help. We would love to see your finished project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqiyDlJmus
Also, since you are wanting to use a panel to make it, accept that the quilting will show somewhat. In your spot, I would try making the stitches stand out kind of like looking through a window. The most important part is the love you add, and the comfort it gives right? Welcome from Oregon.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:57 PM

Welcome from Idaho! Can't help with the weighted part, but check out http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...ig-block-duvet for a free pattern called "Sweet Slumber Duvet Cover". I made one for my mom and it is simple and easy to do. It will give you an idea for the duvet at no cost. Good luck with your summer sewing and beyond! Don't forget to post finished photos, would love to see what you decide on.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:48 PM

Jules51- You mentioned a duvet cover so I am going to ask you my burning question. How on earth are comforters kept in place inside a duvet cover. It would seem to me that unless it is somehow held in the corners it would just ball up inside and add that much more to do when I make the bed each morning. Am I wrong? I have been gifted some beautiful duvet covers and one hand made one and have never used them because I have enough to do making a temperpedic bed without arm wrestling a comforter in a duvet cover. Am I wrong or do they stay in place inside the cover? All of my comforters and duvet covers are cotton. Please help me understand this?
Old 05-26-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Jules51- You mentioned a duvet cover so I am going to ask you my burning question. How on earth are comforters kept in place inside a duvet cover. It would seem to me that unless it is somehow held in the corners it would just ball up inside and add that much more to do when I make the bed each morning. Am I wrong? I have been gifted some beautiful duvet covers and one hand made one and have never used them because I have enough to do making a temperpedic bed without arm wrestling a comforter in a duvet cover. Am I wrong or do they stay in place inside the cover? All of my comforters and duvet covers are cotton. Please help me understand this?
Madamekelly - I find that duvets stay nicely in their covers unless the cover is much too big for the duvet. I have one cover that's too big; with it, I hold the bottom corners (of cover + duvet) and shake it towards the top once a week when I change the sheets. Otherwise, they just stay... by friction, I guess?

Give it a try; since you already have the comforter and duvet cover, the worst outcome is that you don't like it and go back to your old system.