Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weird experience with starch.  Is this normal?? >

Weird experience with starch. Is this normal??

Weird experience with starch. Is this normal??

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM

I use liquid starch and mix with water. That way I can control if i want light or heavy starch. I like to starch all my fabric before cutting. It helps me with cutting and sewing. Also a must if you are doing anything on the bias.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by fudge and furs
So far my most favorite spray starch is Niagara Non Aerosol Spray Starch. Has a very fine pump spray, biodegradable, leaves no flakes. I spray, let it sit for a couple of minutes to soak in, dry iron, not too hot. I found this at a Family Dollar store for $2.00. Probably in other stores for F.D. is the closest to me. Wash fabric first, No softener, EVER.
Same here, but you can also find it at Dollar General, I'm thinking.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Why is the non-aerosol products mentioned here as better?? I have a few of the aerosol spray cans from when I was starching my husbands collars. Are these not as good or cause flaking?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Best Press is not really starch. If you want something a bit ...stiffer or firmer ... use starch. I am a HUGE fan of starch, didn't find much value in Best Press for the $$ it cost.
I've always been told that Best Press is a starch alternative. Have you read the thread about making your own spray using water, essence oil, and vodka?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:36 PM

I first bought the Best Press for quilting, however I didn't think it did much in the way of stiffening the fabric. Perhaps it is more of a sizing. I use it when I press my work clothes because they don't wrinkle as badly from the seat belt in the car and I don't end the day looking like an un-made bed.

My clothes always smell great, which is a bonus! If you run across the blue colored Best Press in the fresh linen scent - treat yourself.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:42 PM

That's a neat tip! I use STA-Flo also, but never thought to get it really wet and when steam press it. I will try that next time.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Having never used starch, but thinking about it for a OBW I might someday do - here's my question: Does the starch stabilizes during the piecing process, but then going to the quilting step, does the starch get rinsed out? Or the starch stays until the quilt is done, and in my case, given, then washed out after when recipient so decide? How does that work with charity quilts?
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM

I wash all my yardage when I bring it home. I hang the yardage over the shower curtain rods since I don't have a clothes line. Right after I hang the material I spray it heavily with starch - Sta-Flo mixed with water - and let it dry. I fold it carefully and don't press the fabric until I am ready to use it. Works great. Easy to press and no white flakes.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 PM

starch your fabric before you cut. ironing while still damp will shrink the fabric. also trim off the selvage before starching.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
Having never used starch, but thinking about it for a OBW I might someday do - here's my question: Does the starch stabilizes during the piecing process, but then going to the quilting step, does the starch get rinsed out? Or the starch stays until the quilt is done, and in my case, given, then washed out after when recipient so decide? How does that work with charity quilts?
Starch stays in the fabric until the finished quilt is washed. However, with all the handling from piecing and quilting, the "starchiness" is pretty much broken down by the time the quilt is finished. I always wash my quilts before giving them away -- not only to get rid of the starch, but also to make sure that nothing is going to bleed (I do the first wash with Synthrapol).