Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well I took the Leap! >

Well I took the Leap!

Well I took the Leap!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ejpkam
I started my "dear Jane" quilt today :) I am hand piecing and hand quilting.. not sure if i will do the tedious little sashing in middle tho... My DH ran out to WalMart and bought me the biggest thing of freezer paper they had for it Ha ha. I will be making "dear jane" while waiting for my son in his speech, occupational, and physical therapy for his sensoray disorder. He gets 3 hrs of therapy a week at once so alot can get done! I started it today piecing it today at his session and I got a few weird looks but... I soo do not care cause while they are on their phones and looking at books and magazines at I will have something to show for my time lol.
Glad you found something to do while waiting in waiting rooms. My mother taught me that "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" so I always had handwork to do, usually knitting. I made a lot of sweaters during the kids' teenage years. Then when my husband was visiting many doctors and having treatments I crocheted a tablecloth. It started lots of conversations. One time a man was sitting across from me and had to come over and get a close look at the motifs. His mother crocheted, and he started a flood memories. He then thanked me for allowing him to reminisce.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Banned

I started my "dear Jane" quilt today :) I am hand piecing and hand quilting.. not sure if i will do the tedious little sashing in middle tho... My DH ran out to WalMart and bought me the biggest thing of freezer paper they had for it Ha ha. I will be making "dear jane" while waiting for my son in his speech, occupational, and physical therapy for his sensoray disorder. He gets 3 hrs of therapy a week at once so alot can get done! I started it today piecing it today at his session and I got a few weird looks but... I soo do not care cause while they are on their phones and looking at books and magazines at I will have something to show for my time lol.
good for you...however, do NOT skip the sashing at all..it plays a vital role in keeping those blocks looking right and not all mushed together and half askew!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Congrats to you! I enjoyed working on mine in bunches and bunches of waiting rooms. It sure is a conversation starter :D. Do check out the Cyber sew for Jane if you need some help, inspiration or someone to whine to about a few of those little blocks..LOL! Feel free to post your blocks on the block threads for the cyber sew!

I'm showing my Jane this weekend...I feel like a nervous Mom!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Congrats to you! I enjoyed working on mine in bunches and bunches of waiting rooms. It sure is a conversation starter :D. Do check out the Cyber sew for Jane if you need some help, inspiration or someone to whine to about a few of those little blocks..LOL! Feel free to post your blocks on the block threads for the cyber sew!

I'm showing my Jane this weekend...I feel like a nervous Mom!
Thanks! I do want to find some sites dedicated to those hard blocks! I'm doing the easy blocks first lol
Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 AM

I have a quilt top that is being embroidered and that's my "take along project". It's been everywhere from doctors' offices, to the hospital when I stayed with my SIL, on vacation and when taking a day trip. I even work on it in the car. It's been a work in progress for years now and one day I hope to have it finished. I'll be keeping your son in my prayers that his therapy goes well. Good luck with your quilt and hope you'll post pictures as you go along.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Wow I kept wondering what a Dear Jane Quilt was and so I happened to click on the info someone posted and saw the pic of the quilt and WOW not only is it beautiful I saw one yesterday at the quilt show in Portales just like it and fell in love with it........never knew it was called a Dear Jane Quilt. The pics here are awesome but seeing it yesterday was awesome too...........also took a mini session at the quilt show on how to make circles that is now what it is called but it is about making a block that has a circle in it and sewing on a curve I have SEW many ideas for doing it that I hope to get one block made this weekend to see how it works. The lady, Linda Custer, put on a very good demonstration. I LOVE QUILT SHOWS!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Good for you. I always have to keep my hands busy. Couldn't tell you how many years I spent on the sidelines knitting/drawing/calculating yardage for my nex quilt. I agre we need to have something to show for our time.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM

YOU GO GIRL I CROCHET SOMETIMES WHILE MY MIL IS TAKING CHEMO FOR OVARIAN CANCER.I HAVE ALSO CROCHETED AT SHRINERS WHEN MY NEPHEW HAD TO HAVE SURGERY HE WAS BORN WITH CLUB FEET BOTH OF HIS WERE THAT WAY.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Most people who give you "looks" in this kind of a situation are just curious. Some of them, I believe, are probably jealous they don't have a project to work on.......

Good luck, I can't wait to see the results.

(And having been a Sp. Ed. PreK teacher hope the therapy sessions with your child are helpful....)
Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Good for you. As I am now sleeping under mine, I know you have a way to go yet, but perseverance will get you there. You might want to check out the thread we have on the board:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1009
Thanks for the thread reference , DJ is my next project and had not thought about using red/white for all blocks. DeAnne