Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
were do you send your charity articles? >

were do you send your charity articles?

were do you send your charity articles?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM

I make quilts for the charity organization at Riley Childrens Hospital in Indy. They hand out quilts to over 11,000 children yearly, plus to patients at Indiana University Hospital. Whichever organization you choose to help with quilts, it would be wise to talk to them first, as most will have specific requirements regarding sizes, fabrics and batting.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM

My DD and I do quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders, a non profit who send completed quilts to Ethiopia and orphaned children. check out this link if you are interested. http://quiltsbeyondborders.wordpress.com
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM

I have donated many yards of fabric to a lady in our community that ties them off and sends them to our local children's hospital or St. Judes. Our community has a baby shower every year and loves donations of baby quilts and other items. Our local children's hospital also asks for donations for the children that are there. It seems like there is always an organization that needs quilts.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Through my quilt guild we donate to:
1. Project Linus, quilts carried in police cars and given to kids in bad situations.
2. Blankies for Adults. The local dialysis center and cancer treatment chemo room can be cold and patients are often immobile hours while receiving their treatments.
3. Hope Pregnancy Center for teen moms. Every baby gets a layette.
4. Ronald McDonald House. Here we don't necessarily give quilts, but donate anything else needed to run a house, from paper plates to toothpaste, cash, and volunteer services.
5. Peaceable Kingdom, a camp for special needs kids. They allow us to have a weekend retreat at their facility and we, in turn, donate quilts for the camp beds, movie house, infirmary, and lounge areas.
6. Wounded veterans, often recovering in the hospital for weeks or months. We're near Fort Hood.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 AM

I am chair of the charity quilts for our guild. We give to the local womans' safe house and to a organization that helps the mentally and physically challenged.
Quilts to the safe house go to children first then adults if there are enough. The other organization needs lap quilts for those in wheel chairs.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

When I can afford it, I donate quilts to local foster kids. They receive them as Christmas gifts, and many times it is the first thing that they have had that is all their own. Breaks my heart.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM

I am in a yahoo group called Sunshine Quilt Guild that sends child-size quilts to two groups:
• Wrap-a-Smile
http://www.rotaplast.org/partners/wrapasmile.php
These are for children having cleft palate surgery around the world.

• Wrap-Them-in-Love
http://www.wraptheminlove.org/
These quilts are sent to various organizations, missions, orphanages, etc around the world and within the US that aid children. They also support the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation here in the US.

I also donate to:
• Quilts for Kids
http://www.quiltsforkids.org/
Sends quilts to hospitals associated with the Children’s Miracle Network - they have local chapters or you can send to a national group for distribution.
• NICU Quilts – one of my local quilt shops sponsors this group to donate small quilts to cover the isolette of a baby in neonatal intensive care (to help reduce sounds and lights).

Bless your heart for considering donation quilting. There are so many needs out there.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Our guild does the Sick Kids hospital, the hospice, the local womens shelter, the boys home, Directly to the hospital with some of the baby or premiee quilts, the food banks and anywhere that asks for them. I know that since July of last year we just gave #100 out this week. There are 54 still to quilt.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM

My items go to various places that our area has connections to. Main reason I guess is that I work at my own pace---------when I'm ready to send stuff out, I do.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM

The main place I have donated quilts is to the regional CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) office in my area. They go to children in foster care. I've done that on my own and as part of a group at church. In the church group we've also made quilted door hangers for Christmas to give to the nursing home next door. I've also given quilted potholders to the local women's shelter.

Our group is also going to look into giving quilts to the county sherriff's office to give to the children they encounter on their calls.

I prefer to do my giving locally, where I know exactly who is getting the items and can drop them off in person, but that is just a personal preference. The ladies at the CASA office are always thrilled when I stop by.