Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What’s a great paper piecing book? >

What’s a great paper piecing book?

What’s a great paper piecing book?

Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 AM

CK, Love your quilt. I was planning on making one for my daughter for Christmas in blues. I put your photo on my desktop for inspiration. If mine comes out half as pretty I will be happy. Now I just have to collect the materials and start.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 AM
anonymous

Carol Doak's 50 pp stars is oop and hard to find. Very pricey if you do. I found one for a decent price recently and bought this for printing my stars. https://www.quiltpro.com/?product=50-fabulous-stars They have frequent sales and I got it for less. Haven't used it yet.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
FYI I had to take mine to Office Depot and have them enlarge my picture because my printer would not enlarge enough.
I dislike paying for a pattern and then having to pay for enlargements. Nearly doubles the cost of a pattern.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
anonymous

Just saw on fb that Carol Doak's 50 star book is back in print and includes the stars to print. http://www.ctpub.com/50-fabulous-pap...emand-edition/

Old 04-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by summitbay View Post
Just saw on fb that Carol Doak's 50 star book is back in print and includes the stars to print. http://www.ctpub.com/50-fabulous-pap...emand-edition/
The "print on demand" edition means that the book is only printed when someone orders it - there isn't a full print run done. The print quality and paper stock used might not be the same quality as the original book. There is no mention of printable patterns, so I think it's just the book.

It's too bad; this is a book that seems like it would do really well if reprinted with digital patterns.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:15 PM
anonymous

I didn't realize that's how that works. Good to know.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
Just wanted to say that the Carol Doak 50 Fabulous Stars book on Amazon comes with a CD but it is NOT the CD with the patterns on it. It is an instructional cd with some tips on it, but does not include the templates to print. You have to buy a separate cd ($20, last I checked) from her/different website. Most of the newer books are supposed to include the cd with the patterns but that particular one did not, to my disappointment. Apparently, people were so upset that the digital patterns weren't included in the purchase price of the book that later books started including them.
the book contains all the patterns, you just copy the number of copies you need- for me much easier than having to deal with downloading a cd.
I took my book to a print shop where they cut the binding off & made the pages 3- hole, put it into a 3 ring binder for me, including the cover , binding and back on the binder. I open the rings, remove the page, make my copies, put it back. Always on hand. Cost me about $8.00
the patterns are all the correct size for each 12” star block. No need to figure out enlargements or anything else.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM

365 Days of Paper Piecing...large blocks and great blocks...ck second hand Amazon.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:54 AM

I like the books by Carol Doak.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:01 AM

I don't usually see paper patterns that need to be enlarged. Most of them are to be printed to exact size, and often have a 1" reference square and instructions for checking your print settings.