Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong? Need help with a class >

What am I doing wrong? Need help with a class

What am I doing wrong? Need help with a class

Old 11-04-2017, 03:39 AM

You have been given lots of good advice about the batting. My concern is the flannel. If you decide to use the poly batting, the flannel must be shrunk first and then squared up again. Poly does not shrink and flannel does--a lot!!!

Personally, I would cut 12 1/2 inch squares of a few different fabrics and teach the kids simple piecing, including matching seams and pressing, and then go on to very simple quilting or tying.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Personally, I would cut 12 1/2 inch squares of a few different fabrics and teach the kids simple piecing, including matching seams and pressing, and then go on to very simple quilting or tying.
When they do their class quilt, they will learn piecing. Each will do a 9 patch square with squares that tell about their time at the school. They will sign one of their squares. We'll make photographic squares of their previous years, plus their particular interests. I have tons of "I spy" charms they can use on their square.

These lapquilts have to be finished before Christmas vacation so they can be donated. We don't have time to learn piecing in addition to sewing machine and cutting, etc. before then.

A church in the area is arranging the donation. I'm guessing they will go to the Methodist home for the aged, given this is a Methodist church.

Thanks for all your help.

I will just switch the batting.

I did wash and dry the flannel. It's my first use of flannel, though you guys have already taught me about shrinkage.

I don't mind binding them. (I just won't hand sew them.)

Thanks again for the help.

bkay
Old 11-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I quit buying polyester batting long ago. Not worth the problems.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Well, I have some warm and natural, so can change it if need be. I also don't have that much invested in the polyester if that is the problem.

I really need this to be EASY for these kids. They need to succeed. They will get to know about Mr. Seam ripper anyway, even with everything simplified.

bkay
Bkay! I would go with the 80/20.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 AM

I read somewhere that you should spray baste the batting as opposed to the top or backing. It seems to work better that way for me.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM

This is probably too late but if this just involves one piece of fabric for the top and one for the back and the batting I would have done the birthing technique that Eleanor Burns has shown. With the top fabric face down on top of the batting and the backing--that is face up and sewn all around leaving a hole to turn. Then turn and topstitch around the edge to close the opening and using a walking foot or even an open toed foot to stitch top to bottom and even side to side or --possibly even tying the quilt.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:04 AM

When I took the Learning to quilt basics classes we used 100% poly batting as the quilts were to be donated and poly was deemed; more economical to purchase for donation quilts. lighter, easier/cheaper to maintain(less time in the dryer) and more durable to wear and tear. With this being said, I am so glad I am in a position to never have to work with the stuff again.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:48 PM

I learned a lot here, thank you. I just bought my first poly batting yesterday, I may return it.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I'm a fairly novice quiter. I've pieced 5 or 6 simple quilts, but had all quilting done by a longarmer.

I'm volunteering to teach quilting to 5th graders. It's a small class, just 6 or 7 kids. I did this last year, but the teacher (my sister) was persuaded to do something "that shows" by either her principal or her TAG supervisor.

So, this year, each is making a wheelchair lapquilt to donate, in addition to what we did last year. I simplified it, as we are not piecing the lapquilt. We're just cutting a top, bottom and batting, spray basting and quilting it with a walking foot. (Wonder who will end up binding all those lapquilts?)

We just had our first class last week and I was going to make a prototype. My plan was flannel backing and polyester batting. I'm not sure which is not working easily. I taped the flannel to the table, not stretching it but smoothing it carefully. I spray basted it and then put on the low loft polyester batting. I smoothed it out. Then I sprayed it and put the top on. I removed the blue tape and folded up the sandwich. It was all goofy this morning with the backing no longer smooth and the top was only a hair better. So, I ironed it from the center out and re-positioned both the top and the backing. It might make it through the sewing machine without puckers, but somehow, I doubt it. I left it laying flat.

What am I doing wrong? Would Warm and Natural solve some of this problem? If we don't use flannel for the backing, we have to put some kind of ties on it to keep it from sliding.

Any help would be appreciated. I really need to get most of the kinks worked out this weekend.

bkay
Your problem with spray basting was also my experience with it. I have had no problems since I learned to baste using white school glue. I am impatient for it to dry, so I iron mine dry using a towel under it, and a pressing cloth on top. I use the glue straight from a picnic squeeze bottle in very thin swirles about 3-4 inches apart. The only thing to remember is you must wash the quilt before it is really done. I use cold water on a delicate cycle with no detergent and cool dry them. They come out fine, (and if there are any booboos, I can fix them before the giftee knows.)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:02 AM

For wheelchair lapquilts I would not use a batting. Either just have the flannel backing or, if you want a bit of extra thickness, use a flannel for batting and backing. It would be easier for the kids and quite a bit cheaper. Might I suggest you do a 'self-binding'? Keep the backing 1" bigger and double fold it over to the front and then topstitch (I like to use a decorative stitch) to hold the binding down. This would be easy for the kids and it eliminates the possibility of binding coming loose. As wheelchair quilts or nursing home quilts, they will get some hard use and lots of laundering.