Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong???? >

What am I doing wrong????

What am I doing wrong????

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 PM

Default What am I doing wrong????

I've finished quilting a T-shirt quilt on my longarm and have a discrepancy in the border measurement. How can this happen when the borders are measured, cut precisely, pinned into place before being sewn on; the top is basted in place on the quilting frame, but when I finished quilting, took the quilt off the frame, and went to square it up, I ended up with almost a 3/8 to 1/2 inch gap on one side for about 8 inches along one side. To resolve the problem, I can cut away another 1/2 inch of border on each side before I add the binding, but I'd like to avoid this issue next time. Any ideas or advice is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails t-shirt-gap.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 PM

I can't help with the question but I'll be waiting for the answer with you.
Rodney
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM

This sometimes happens to me. I have just started to make my last border about 1 inch wider all the way around. I think it may have something to do with how even the tension is when we roll the top and backing on the frame. This is just a guess on my part. Good thing I only quilt for myself. LOL
Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 PM

This happen to me on a table runner I was making. Waiting to hear what others have to say.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
This sometimes happens to me. I have just started to make my last border about 1 inch wider all the way around. I think it may have something to do with how even the tension is when we roll the top and backing on the frame. This is just a guess on my part. Good thing I only quilt for myself. LOL
Ditto Gramie bj..... I have the same issues too. I believe that we pull the top as we are quilting and rolling it. This could cause the top to start moving out because so much of it is cut on width of fabric which is stretchy, and me pulling the top to keep it straight. I float my tops which might also, cause the problem. I am going to try cutting all my borders along the length of the selvedge, called straight grain of fabric, which is much more stable and not nearly as stretchy as WOF, to see if this could stop the stretching from happening. I noticed on the last two quilts I quilted, that the stretching occurred in the last 1/4 of one side.

A lot of quilters baste the quilt down the sides before they start quilting, I just pin. My older Nolting does not have a lock so my side basting isn't as straight as I would like it to be.

I hope an expert answers this so we will all know what the real solution is.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-05-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Quilts have a way of moving around on the frame! As you quilt, it causes certain areas to be drawn up, depending on the density of the quilting. One way to avoid this is to measure from the center of the quilt to the edges every time you roll the quilt on the frame...if the quilt is 90" wide, you want each side to measure 45" from the center, pin it and quilt the edge of the quilt down in a ~ pattern (this allows you to suck up a little extra fabric if you need to without getting a tuck). I measure and pin about every 6", then baste it down so I can keep the quilt square. I know that by the time I get to the bottom border, it always has a bit of "fluff" because the rest of the quilt is quilted and has shrunk up just enough to make the bottom border a challenge.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
A lot of quilters baste the quilt down the sides before they start quilting, I just pin. My older Nolting does not have a lock so my side basting isn't as straight as I would like it to be.
Barb, I don't use my channel locks for basting the sides - use an S shape and that will allow you to fudge in a bit of fluffiness in the border, if necessary, without tucks. If you really want to do a straight stitch to baste the sides, you can easily use clamps on either side of your carriage wheels
Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 PM

I would assume it has something to do with the quilting taking and moving more at one end to the other.
At least it was retrievable . Looks a lovely quilt in the corner.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 AM

That problem alone is the reason I use the centering tape on my frame. It keeps me from pulling it too tight at one end and not enough at the other. It keeps everything nice and square. I've never had that problem again. I swear by this tape! It's the pink tape that runs across the quilt in the picture. It has little points that I line up with the sashings. You can see it up-close in the other picture. Two different quilts, but you get the drift!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by cindi; 11-06-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 AM

I have this problem too sometimes. Now when I put on borders, I keep in mind that I might have to sacrifice a bit of fabric and determine how big the borders should be based on that knowledge.

I really think a lot about just admitting that I don't like this part of the process and selling my longarm...