Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Am I Doing Wrong? >

What Am I Doing Wrong?

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 AM

Default What Am I Doing Wrong?

Clearly something... Help! I have to make 240 of these HST! The first one is a disaster, the second one is OK.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616572[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hst.jpg  
Old 08-24-2019, 06:59 AM

It takes awhile to get used to piecing flying geese units. I find that if I line it up on the bottom/side, the top will work itself out. If I try for that top seam I get more problems.

Do you have all the pieces cut yet? There are a couple alternatives to basic practice practice practice -- and by the time you get this done you will be an expert! So take a deep breath and maybe practice on a few blocks out of fabric scraps.

The easiest method is also a bit fabric intensive/wasteful. You would start with a rectangle, so say your subunit there should be 3 x 1.5". You start with a rectangle that size, then you take a two squares, each 3", draw a diagonal line on the back and place it on one side of the rectangle. Sew on the line, cut off the excess, repeat on the other side.

I would probably use that technique if I had the fabric, otherwise I'd keep the large triangle as is and slightly overcut the side triangles and then trim everything down.

Second suggestion is to try paper piecing them. Helps if you can cut those star fabrics slightly larger than needed.

There are many other methods to making flying geese, some use specialty rulers, others grids.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
It takes awhile to get used to piecing flying geese units. I find that if I line it up on the bottom/side, the top will work itself out. If I try for that top seam I get more problems.

Do you have all the pieces cut yet? There are a couple alternatives to basic practice practice practice -- and by the time you get this done you will be an expert! So take a deep breath and maybe practice on a few blocks out of fabric scraps.

The easiest method is also a bit fabric intensive/wasteful. You would start with a rectangle, so say your subunit there should be 3 x 1.5". You start with a rectangle that size, then you take a two squares, each 3", draw a diagonal line on the back and place it on one side of the rectangle. Sew on the line, cut off the excess, repeat on the other side.

I would probably use that technique if I had the fabric, otherwise I'd keep the large triangle as is and slightly overcut the side triangles and then trim everything down.

Second suggestion is to try paper piecing them. Helps if you can cut those star fabrics slightly larger than needed.

There are many other methods to making flying geese, some use specialty rulers, others grids.
Is that what they’re called? Flying geese? I know a few I’d like to send sailing…

Icie, you’re a gem!! It turns out I was sewing from the wrong end. Once I started at the other end, it all lined up perfectly. You’re a genius!!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I do the fast way and make flying geese from two hsts. But the line up perfect way for me is paper piecing them especially if they are small. There are so many specialty rulers to for Flying Geese. My favorite ones are Quilt In a Day and one from Deb Tucker.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:49 AM

https://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

This is the easy way to make 4 at a time. Where it says to cut pieces B, make sure you do cut by adding 7/8" and not one inch.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 AM

This one can be challenging. One of the things I do to be sure they come out perfect is to make my pieces a bit larger. I can always trim down but can't make them larger than called for. This way as you learn you will still get perfect pieces.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 AM

I am up to my eyeballs in flying geese right now and I use Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler. I know there are many ways to make the geese, but for me this works and I always have perfect geese.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
This one can be challenging. One of the things I do to be sure they come out perfect is to make my pieces a bit larger. I can always trim down but can't make them larger than called for. This way as you learn you will still get perfect pieces.
Agree .... oversize and trim to perfect sizing with a flying geese ruler.

Or PP them, for more perfect sizing!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:05 AM

I had to make 250 flying geese awhile back and I used the No Waste Method. It works great. The only thing I did was make the smaller squares about 1/4" larger. Because of that, I did have to trim up the tops a little but I had perfect geese every time.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/no-w...quilts-2821760
Old 08-24-2019, 12:20 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the second pic..you need to trim the dog ears, then you will have your 1/4" seam allowance. First pic looks like you may have cut the triangle on the right too small? You have to measure and cut very carefully when you're working with a block with points.