Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I missing in this brainstorm????? >

What am I missing in this brainstorm?????

What am I missing in this brainstorm?????

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like heaven to me!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Craft table or cutting area? Design wall? Telephone?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 AM

Well, I've been wide awake thinking. My thoughts are going 100 miles/hour.

I will put my homemade Big Board on top of the regular ironing board and leave it downstairs.

Yours truly just measured the inside depth of the pie safe and checked out the contents. I can consolidate special toys for the grandkids to one shelf and have the rest of the space for WIP projects and misc. items.

Desktop computor with printer is upstairs, but I have access to a wireless laptop :-) I should go and spend some time with hubby....

If I want a space without clutter, I'll really have to cull my notebooks, books, and magazines. That would be advantageous(sp) as I tend to warehouse too many things. I am trying to lighten the load.

I often cut fabrics on two large mats placed on the Big Board surface. An old computer table or narrow rectangular table might be adequate as a craft table.

My parents graduated from high school in 1933 so many things were kept -- just in case of need. Having gone through most items in the archeological dig - think clean hoarders - I am trying to live in less clutter with fewer things. The key word here was trying. :-)
Old 04-30-2010, 03:14 AM

If at all possible, get your material where you are!! I'm doing the 2 level thing and honestly it gets annoying!! Go downstairs and pick out fabric, take it to sunroom (lots of light) try to decide, then think oh I can use this color, back downstairs!! It does get frustrating. I should have a very skinny butt, I can say that's definitely not the case!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 04-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Wow, it sounds like its going to be a great room. I would agree with the coffee pot, LOL, if ya could!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 AM

In some areas, humidity could be a factor. The other posts already brought up the power. If you are going for a coffeepot and fridge, it would be nice to have potty on that level, too.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 AM

We have a bedroom, 3/4 bath and family room on the lower level of the house. The walk out basement is on a hillside overlooking a lake in the distance.

I am having second thoughts about the whole thing because I won't be able to have all of my fabric downstairs unless we really keep that room warm. (gritting my teeth)

Hubby and I were talking this morning and he has no problem with me upstairs, but suggested I change my style of work.

Instead of having three or more things in process at one time, I should perhaps settle down to finishing things or only have one big project at a time out for construction.

I will start today to unclutter "the room" off of the kitchen where I currently sew. I'll purge stuff from drawers, move out a couple of tubs containing WIPS, and find other places for a number of houseplants.....

My current room is just off of the deck and summer is coming according to the calendar.

My second option is to move my sewing table and machine downstairs soon to see if I like working down there :-o

I've got cold feet!

Do you ever hesitate to do something because you are a perfectist type organizer????????????????
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Lucky You! Sounds like the perfect space and I love that you have a chair for hubby.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Ok, first of all I agree, get the fabric down there too. You can buy shelving units that you put together yourself--and while they do not have doors, I just went to the thrift store and bought flat sheets for $1.00 each and fixed them to the top of the units with velcro to cover them and protect the fabric from dust and sun. Light colors work best and I can take them down and wash them if they get dirty.
As far as your magazines---I just did this. I got all my magazines in the living room and at night when I watch tv with DH I went through them and used the post it note strips to mark the patterns I liked the most and thought I would use. Then I took those that had something in them and scanned them on my printer/computer and printed them out in color with a picture of the finished quilt. They then went into plastic sleeves and into notebooks with tab dividers for baby, throw, etc. I cut down shelf size being used by half. Then I took the magazines to work and let a couple of my quilting buddies look through and take what they wanted and just donated the rest. Or you could put them up for sale on this sight. Now I just have to do the same with my fabric. You are going to love having a space all your own.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Your idea of "trying out" working downstairs is an excellent one. It sounds like you might get a little lonesome down there by yourself.

Otherwise, your proposed space sounds WONDERFUL - :hunf:

If you are in good health and going up and down stairs is not a problem for you - the upstairs stash and downstairs work areas would create "automatic exercise"

If stairs are difficult, the stash on one level and the work area on another would be bothersome.