Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern? >

What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern?

What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern?

Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I've been quilting since 1973 and I have a ton of patterns ranging from super easy to challenging. I've made 2 quilts with this pattern one of which was flannel. I was amazed at how different each one looked.

What I like about this pattern is there is minimal cutting, no templates, it uses a handful of fat quarters, and the top can be made in a weekend. It's an excellent pattern for a beginner with minimal investment in fabric or time.

I can't say this pattern makes an awe-inspiring quilt because it doesn't. But it does make a fantastic utility quilt. It's definitely a pattern that you either like (note I didn't say love) or you don't.

It's like the pattern Strip Search. That is a super simple pattern where you could make the same statement. I have seen several of these quilts in various colorways and each one looks better than the one before it.
photo: http://www.gequiltdesigns.com/images...rip_Search.jpg

I have found in my many years of quilt making, that some patterns will speak to you and you will want to make them while others will not.
Thank you all for an education. But I really think you've explained it best. I really like this pattern that you've posted called strip search, and can see how the fabric would really make the difference. It also made me realize what I don't really care about the YBR...it is kind of random where this pattern is repetitive. I guess i just gravitate toward a more structured pattern. And I can definitely see by all the Board's comments that it can be beneficial for beginners to have a pattern so the quilting process doesn't become overwhelming and discouraging. Thank you all for your input.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:46 PM

I purchased this pattern with a gift certificate. I just made the quilt and it is waiting to be quilted. Am I happy with it?? It is okay, but not one of my favorites.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Probably for the same reason as this:
I was in town about a week ago, I saw a class being offered that has free patterns all over the net. Would I pay $50? Not in your wildest dreams, but there were 4 people signed up.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by gwanma
It also made me realize what I don't really care about the YBR...it is kind of random where this pattern is repetitive.
I know exactly what you mean about random. I have a hard time just picking up a piece of fabric and sewing it to another without any thought of coordination. But there are times when I find randomness to be a rather freeing experience. Kind of reminds me that not everything in life is planned.

I'm glad you like Strip Search. I'm making one now in batiks called Bali Sangria. When I get some of it done, I'll post a photo.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by gwanma
Just curious. I have been reading about the Yellow Brick Road pattern that people say is easy but needs to be purchased. I looked up some pictures and honestly don't understand why anyone would buy this pattern. There are so many great patterns that can be created without the need of a purchased "pattern". Maybe someone out there can explain to me what I am not seeing. I thought by the name that there would be a yellow path somehow meandering throughout the quilt...that sounded appealing to me but I don't see that somehow in any of the pictures I've viewed. ??? Now I know that "to each his own" but I was just wondering if I am missing something.
I agree with you, there are too many really fantastic quilt patterns out there for me to spend my time on that one. My sister made it, so far her first and only quilt. It is an easy pattern for beginners, but there are lots of easy patterns that I prefer over it.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 AM

Delightful quilt, Raggie Mom
Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
Any of Terri's patterns are well written, meaning you will cut and use exactly what you need. Also she help you to use the fabric in a practical way, so little waste.
You never can go wrong with an Atkinson pattern.
Totally agree with you, when I first started quilting this was the first big quilt I made, I have made several since, I love it for showing off the pattern and design of the fabrics, here is one I made using "Froggy" fabrics for a friend who was Froggy mad :-P to me it was the perfect pattern for it.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 AM

I made the yellow brick road pattern for a quilt that I gave one of my grandsons this past Christmas. I didn't purchase the pattern/ I somehow managed to find one on line. It's three diffeent squares that you put together and just turn the squares so that no lines match up. I used up a lot of my scraps and stash in them which was great. It's just all in what you like I guess. Actually, I found it to be a lot of work.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 AM

It is a quick and easy pattern, and you can use fat quarters. It's especially great for beginners.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I loved the Yellow Brick Road pattern. I used all yellow fat quarters to make a quilt for my parents for Christmas. It goes together easily and quickly.
I love this I think it is beautiful. However, I am partial to yellow. Did you purchase the pattern or do you have a site where we can get the pattern for free.