Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What batting do you use?

I used to buy W& N by the bolt, but bought Hobbs 80/20 and like it better, but my fav is Dream Wool. Just washing my finished Chunky ChurndashName:  !cid_part1_09040900_08060206@macinhouse.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  320.8 KB I love it.
    Judi in Ohio

Warm and Natural. I like how it quilts.

I've always used the Quilters Dream because that's what my LQS carries. Recently, I've been using Warm and Natural Cotton. I like it so far. I got some Mountain Mist on sale at JoAnns. I did not like it at all. It was patchy and scrawny! I actually bought a king sized batting and planned to use it on several baby sized quilts, but ended up using the rest of it for a non quilting project because I disliked it so much.

I purchased some Hobbs Wool and am looking forward to trying it. I'd originally planned to buy a roll once I knew what I liked, but maybe I will just keep buying batting to fit the size of each quilt. I did not think batting would take so much thought!

I try to get whatever is on sale, but I just bought some prepackaged batting from Joann's for 1/2 off and didn't like it at all. I had to pick out 5 places where it looked like there was a teeny tiny rock and it left so much lint in my machine that I had to clean it every time I changed the bobbin. It was called Sew Perfect. First & last time I will buy that brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
    I used to buy W& N by the bolt, but bought Hobbs 80/20 and like it better, but my fav is Dream Wool. Just washing my finished Chunky ChurndashName:  !cid_part1_09040900_08060206@macinhouse.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  320.8 KB I love it.
    Your Chunky Churndash is beautiful & colorful...a happy quilt.

Quilters Dream. Wonderful for hand quilting and nice drape. This summer I used the bright white, light weight Pellon cotton batting that comes on a roll at Joann's. Specifically purchased it to drape nicely and be used on a cotton lawn quilt top I finished. Loved it and was able to quilt the tiniest stitches ever. Don't know if it would be substantial/warm enough to use on most quilts here in the northeast though.

Love Hobbs 100 per cent cotton batting. It's all I use. Although at some point I am going to try wool batting, and probably silk, and maybe bamboo.

I haven't tried very many different battings. However I did get a really good buy on fleece awhile back and have been doing "cheater" backing/batting all in one on the back of my last few throws. Everyone who has gotten one has commented on how soft and snuggly they are.

I like Hobbs 80/20 if it is for a special quilt. Most of the quilts I make will be heavily used and washed so I use Hobbs Polydown. It handles well, does not beard or pull through, washes and dries well and is very easy to quilt. Even our best hand quilter in our guild likes this batting. It is also affordable for someone who is giving a lot of quilts away.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    I also like warm and natural buy it when it is on sale

Blog Entries
    Quilter's Dream cotton for sure. it is absolutely wonderful. same thickness thru out, just an awesome batting

Banned
    low or med loft and whatever is on sale.

Pellon is one of my favorites..... I long arm and warm and natural it great, but pellon is relatively cheap when on sale, and of very similar quality... I like the dense poly too ESP for kids quilts that get laundered a lot...I hate mountain mist it is just lousy even the cotton blend...

I love Dream wool the most but use their bamboo as well. I just got some of their poly for skinny quilts, it feels wonderful, but I haven't used it yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2