Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best most inexpensive longarm??? >

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Someone mentioned that this machine is very heavy? What do you think? Is it hard to work with?
Which one?
The Voyager
The Voyager is very heavy. You will need a heavy duty frame or sturdy base to put it on. The Hinterberg Stretch & Summit frames, SuperQuilter Pro-Flex, possibly the Grace Pinnacle, or a B-Line tabletop with cabinet base. You must have a sturdy, level frame for any quilting machine to operate smoothly and the heavier the machine, the more critical it becomes.

My Voyager glides like a hot knife through butter with the ProFlex carriage & frame. I played with Voyager on a Summit Frame and it was a little harder to drive around but I don't think the frame was leveled--it was during a quilt show. The frame itself is super strong and much like the ProFlex. The wheels on the carriage are different, though so maybe the wheels on the Pro-Flex make it easier. Folks rave about the Hinterberg Stretch Frame and the Summit is supposed to be an upgraded version of that so I still think the frame just wasn't squared or level.

For the person that asked about using a Janome 6600 on a frame--yes you can. I have the very similar Elna 7200. I quilted with it on my B-Line Studio frame for 4 1/2 years until I got the Voyager with a ProFlex frame in April. I can do anything with the Elna and B-Line that I can do with the Voyager & ProFlex--I just have to roll the quilt more often and adjust my designs to fit the space differently.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM

If you think New York is out of the country, try Alaska! We are the step child!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I belielve Bailey's is made out of country and I was told that the quality is poor for this machine. Inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.
Yeah sometimes I feel like New York is out of the country!

:lol: :lol:
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM

I think it is but I had a reg. sewing machine on a Grace Frame before the Tin Lizzie so knew a little about how it all works. There are support groups and if you have a dealer near you, that is even better. I tried it and fell in love with it. Now I have my own and it had a few quirks but they got worked out.
Originally Posted by grannyQ
Is the Tin Lizzie 18 easy to learn how to use. I'm interested in purchasing one. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 AM

Has anyone heard of the George Longarm? I had heard about it from an instructor in a free-motion quilting class I took. She claimed it was a smaller machine and cost her prox $7,000.00 a couple of years ago. She receives top awards at quilting shows.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 AM

Check out where the machines are made and ask if the factory takes trade ins. A machine is made in Cedar Rapids IA and you can get used reconditioned machines.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 AM

The George is a sit down model (where you push the fabric, not the machine). I'd check out some of the yahoo groups for used machines (machine quilting professionals, hinterburg, home quilting systems). I bought a new Voyager in March and absolutely love it once I got past the initial learning curve.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:58 AM

My friend has this old long arm machine that we have been trying to get adjusted. Neither one of us know what we are doing. She bought it from someone else and didn't ask any questions. She said we had to change the oil in it. We had to literally pick the machine up off it's base and pour the oil in to the fill line. Are all of them like that or is there an easier way. Her machine was very heavy and it took both of us to do it? And how often does that have to be done under normal use?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 AM

I have had the Bailey since January '09 and I love it. It is in my quilt shop and I use it everyday. I also rent it out to customers so they can have the fun of quilting their own quilts. I have my Bailey on a Bernina frame (yes, they do make a frame and it is wonderful. You can set on it and service the back of your machine and it will not sway or bend)

I have the stitch regulator on mine. Right now I am in the market for a new Bailey because I bought the 13" and feel I am now ready for the 17" which was not in production when I purchased mine.

I would suggest that you join the Bailey group on Yahoogroups and read a lot of their archives. There is a wealth of information in those emails, and there is always someone that can help you with any problem you might be having with your machine. You don't have to have a Bailey to join.

This is not a computerized machine, although some have added a computer to theirs. But I love the fact that I get to be creative and do what I want on a quilt rather than just watch cookie cutter designs being stitched out.

It won't cost you anything to look. The service is A+++++ and it has been a great 18 month experience owning my Maggie Bailey..little rule...you have to give your machine a name....I chose Maggie. There are some real creative names. If you do join the group, go to the photos and look at the pictures posted by a lady named Patt. It is amazing the things she has done on her machine. She is a true artist.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. Oh, and Chuck, the owner of Bailey Home Quilter has a website which gives you prices, and a place to order needles, bobbins, etc. He even has whole packages that include a frame...just not the Bernina frame. I purchased my frame at the Houston International Quilt Festival.
Good luck picking out a machine. Dollar for dollar, Bailey is by far the best buy. You will be pleasantly surprised at Chuck's price list.
Virginia
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Absolutely not true. Bailey is made in upper New York. Chuck makes each machine to order. He has a shop there where you can go and see the machines if you live in the area, but he does not make the quilt shop circuit.

It is definately not a cheap made machine. Just a simple made machine. He has designed his upgrades so they are easy for the owner to clean, service and enjoy. He is always available to take your questions on the phone, just don't ask him to do emails. That is not his cup of tea. The machine is all metal and what else can I say...It has the most bang for the bucks.
Virginia
Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 AM

I, too, have a Bailey machine -13"- which I'm very satisfied with, though I'm seriously considering a longer-armed Bailey. Their service is great (call, don't email them). I use it for my donation quilts or family quilts... my 'talent' is limited, so I'll send out any 'heirloom-type' pieces. Mine is on frame a friend's son designed and built.