Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best stabilizer for quilt top applique? >

What is the best stabilizer for quilt top applique?

What is the best stabilizer for quilt top applique?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

​I have heard good reports about Misty fuse for a softer appliqué. I have always used Wonder Under and I "window" large appliqué to keep my top softer.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Halfsquare View Post
I am about to start a quilt that has cut applique shapes that I will be machine stitching not hand stitching. I will not be turning the edges, but raw edge applique with a button hole style stitch. Since it has been so long since I have done this I though I should check and see what stabilizer does everyone recommend that is the lightest weight, fusible, and is there one that washes away? I have no idea and it is overwhelming what is on the market. A long time ago I used Steam a Seam 2. Is there something better now? I hate stabilizer that makes the quilt top stiff. Any suggestions?
Thanks so much.
I think you are confusing fusible for stabilizer. Fusible is the stuff that sticks the applique to the background fabric. Stabilizer is what is needed underneath the background fabric to prevent puckering while you machine stitch the applique.

Misty Fuse and Shade Fuse are fusibles that do not stiffen the fabric. I have been waiting for some time to do some Misty Fuse samples because I want to see how it holds up in the wash with different stitchings around the applique.

The background fabric needs to be stabilized so it doesn't distort while you are sewing around applique shapes. What I do is heavily starch the background fabric with a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water before ever cutting the background pieces. I "paint" this solution onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam. The fabric comes out fairly stiff with this method. In any case, typically it provides enough stability so the background fabric does not distort while you are sewing. If you do not use this heavy starching method, or if starch is not enough, then you need to place something underneath the background fabric before sewing the applique. This can be a tear-away stabilizer or a water-soluble stabilizer. Sometimes the stabilizer needs to be doubled, and I think it is more effective if you can spray baste it to the background fabric so the fabric is unable to slip away from the stabilizer as you sew (although most people do not do this).
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM

I just sewed 20 sunbonnet sue blocks and I just use starch also. I love this method the best. I spray the fabric with starch and dry it then steam press it. Then I lay the peices I am going to use on the fabric and spray them and iron the whole thing once more. I might add a pin if the peices dont want to stay where they should. I don't seem to ever have any puckers . It works for me so I hope that helps u .
Happy sewing
Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 AM

Do you satin stitch or button hole stitch your appliques in place. I am a bit concerned about fraying etc without the fusible to hold it together.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

I like Misty fuse. its very light weight and soft.