Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What bothers you   when making a quilt? >

What bothers you when making a quilt?

What bothers you when making a quilt?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dorismae904 View Post
I wanted to read about the gripes of other quilters. The bobbin running out and not realizing it until I've gone through so many pieces. I've heard some machines have a bobbin minder that lets you know when the bobbin thread is low. Any quilters out there that have that option and does it work well for you? Secondly, I don't know if I could call this a gripe but I don't care for sandwiching the quilt. I must 7 or 8 tops to do, mostly charity.
Doris, it the the machines that have embroidery modules that do this. So the maker knows way ahead something is about to go amiss in their design.
My Janome 9000 had some simple embroidery functions, so even when piecing a low bobbin would beep. The only problem for me was it beeped long before when a piecemaker would consider pulling the bobbin, so I just learned to ignore.

Crazy though today's modern machines don't have the simple little thing.
Or a bobbin that would hold a spool

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 07-18-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:44 AM

If my seams don't match where the block meet I can't go on until it is fixed; and pleats because they really show up. I think anything else I can live with, but I'm not sure I can. LOL
Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Besides not having enough time to quilt, especially the past 3 1/2 years when I've dealt with a number of medical issues, ending with a shoulder replacement in May. Now with much less pain, and as long as I pace myself, do my exercises, and not try to sew for 8 hours a day, I'm hopeful that I can get my Mo Jo back, so I can do the projects on my Roundtoit List. The other thing is sandwiching quilts - from lap to king, I just want to get to the quilting. I need to find an easier way to sandwich the quilts.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:19 PM

Don't like basting sandwich together. I remain bothered until it's done!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Forgetting half the quilts I planned to make!
Tension trouble with a machine.
Winding bobbin thread when I just want to KEEP SEWING.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
I hate to take out the roll of batting...unroll, measure and cut....don't know why but it bothers me sometimes
I agree with you, viewer's choice would be an awesome accomplishment! Congrats on yours.

I am very very very picky, but I have made myself stop that so much, I am getting old, have lots of stash and want to use it up so I am "letting" myself, well for the most part, let little things go by now without having to take it out.

I would still take out any pleat that happened though. I would also take out a really off intersection, but one stitch off isn't bad now for me to leave in. I have started sewing more wonky or freestyle/liberated things and it is very freeing from the so rigid quilting/piecing I used to do and relieves my stress over things a lot. So I actually think I am enjoying quilting much more now than when I was younger. I also don't look for mistakes in other peoples quilt, I look at the all over pic and not the picky things. I will look at picky things if I want to learn something new and how to improve mine, but not so much any more. Is that being liberated?lol
Old 07-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tina View Post
The first thing that came to me is my husband. It seems that every time I start to sew or cut he comes in and wants me to help, look at something. Drives me crazy. Just saying.
Oh my gosh Tina I hear you on that one. Now I have a studio that is not attached to the house and I can go there and not be bothered! It works great.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
I do this too. I started taking a picture on my cell phone of the arrangement and then prop it up next to my sewing machine so I don't mess it up. I have also taken two blocks that were supposed to be next to each other and just sewn the wrong sides together, so instead of A->B I end up with B->A. Then I end up having a debate with myself it it really makes that big of a difference and should I just leave it or not. The most confusing pattern I've ever put together is called pixie sticks and is from the moda bakeshop. My quilt ended up with two blocks out of order/upside down (third row down, last two green blocks on the right). I didn't notice until it was sandwiched, but I just left them, it was a gift for a friend that was very suddenly diagnosed with cancer. I didn't have time to fix it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525375[/ATTACH]
Just looking at your quilt it doesn't look anything wrong to me even though I know where it is after you told me, because the way the fabric changes color it looks like it was meant to be that way. I bet no one would even notice that unless they got it down and really figured it out, pretty quilt.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:23 PM

Two things:
1) Having to find the center of something (block, quilt top, pre-cut) so I can trim it down. Drives me nuts. I never quite get it right the first time so I've taken to cutting it a little too big & then trying again.
2) Pin basting my quilt -- probably for the same reason. That said, I don't dislike the other methods of basting even more. Takes so much time & no one ever sees all that work. I really wish those tagging guns worked better. They seemed like an awesome idea!

Oh, and I don't really like using my seam ripper. I use it vary sparingly. I love it when teachers say that it's better to spend more time practicing/actually FMQ'ing than tearing out seams. I've definitely found that to be true.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Joining the binding ends and having to cut the excess tail. I will literally pace like a caged animal. But I am getting better...!