Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise? >

What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise?

What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

it isn't the airline that allows/prohibits items, it is the TSA. here is their website with the lists http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm it says you can take scissors with blades shorter than 4"
Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 AM

My DD just flew to Va for work..her list read..anything like that can go into your checked bags..you can only carry a needle and thread and small scissors on with you..and u will have to claim it!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 AM

Oh, they took my little nail scissors a few years ago. I had since my oldest son was born and almost cried when I found out there was not way I could get it back.

Haven't flown in a year but last time I could only take 2 oz bottles of shampoo, etc. that were in my carryon bag, they also had to be in a clear baggie and taken out of my carryon when it went through the xray.

Have a nice trip.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Agree with others. Check with the TSA site. But just in case - because sometimes the personnel can be arbitrary - take a padded envelope that will fit whatever cherished item(s) you might not want confiscated. Take stamps to put postage on it.

Four years ago, even though I checked the site, I forgot about the scissors and knife in my Swiss Army card tucked into my wallet. Fortunately, I was able to step out of line and post it home. Not an expensive item to lose but my DH had given it to me and I feel sentimental about it.

In case you've never seen it, this is a great gift item. Fits into a wallet. You can get them for between $20 and $25. No affiliation, just a very satisfied user of it.
http://www.victorinox.com/category/1/100/1009
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM

Carry on your machine, but tell them at security it is a sewing machine. Pack scissors and cutters and pins and all other supplies in checked baggage. You shouldn't have any issues.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 AM

I flew twice so far this year, once from NYC to Savannah and once from NYC to Spain. Both times, I carried on my applique and all the accoutrements, including my smaller-than-4" scissors and my long straight pins. Each time, when I went through the security check, I made certain to make the scissors obvious by placing them separately in the trays that are provided. Surprisingly, and happily, I had no problems. About five years ago, I had a small pair of folding,stork scissors confiscated. I guess the TSA is giving better training these days?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM

The rules have changed many, many times over the years so definitely check the TSA web-site. I would even print it out & take it with me just in case you get one of the "I'm smarter than you" TSA agents.

I bought a very small cheap plastic sewing machine that easily fits in a carry-on but it's crap to sew with so now I'm keeping an eye out for a good, used 3/4 size machine. I don't plan on taking it on an airplane until next year so I've got time to find a bargain.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
they took my crane scissors so i'd say leave all sharps behind in case they take them from you too
For awhile they did not allow any scissors but they do now. I think the crane scissors you can not take because they have a very sharp point.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 AM

For awhile they did not allow any scissors but they do now. I think the crane scissors you can not take because they have a very sharp point.[/quote]

the scissors I brought were extremely pointed and sharp. I use them to trim the fabric to 1/8" inch when I applique. I did also bring a second pair in my checked luggage to Spain, just in case.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM

I have had sooo much "lost" when I have flown. I have put in TSA claim, but that does absolutely nothing. Heck, even my TSA lock was not replaced on the luggage. Things have been torn or spilled. [One trip up North they inspected my checkes luggage and found the TSA approved small jar of cream but didn't put the lid back on. Luckily it was in a zip lock baggie. I just put on the top but used what was in the bag. On the return trip home someone put the cream back in the jar. Too funny!]

So ... can you mail any tools ahead of time to where you are going and have them hold it for you?

When I go up North for my son's wedding I will either get the outfit up there or ship it to my daughter to hold for me.

Obviously I have trust issues with TSA. Different fold interpret things differently and you can't argue with them or you won't fly.

ali