Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise? >

What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise?

What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Talk about odd,couple years ago when we flew we could not bring scissors but a lady was allowed to bring her long knitting needles...you could do murder with them,so go figure
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM

For your carry on, take kindergarten scissors with blunt points, needles, hand work. I just do handwork when traveling. It was costly to post my scissors home from the airport.

I do know several ladies who brought their Janome Gem instead of another carry on.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM

You can take pretty much anything in your luggage. To carry on board you can now take scissors 4"long or less, pins, sewing needles and thread, plus non-lethal items like fabric. I travel all the time for work and haven't problems taking any of these things on the plan in a year or more.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM

We flew from Houston, TX (IAH) to Orlando, FL for our Disney trip a couple of weeks ago.
I brought along my GFG project.
My needles/seam ripper/small pointed scissors all fit in my 4"x4" travel sewing kit - breezed through security.

The only problem we had was on the return trip.
My DH was "scanned" in the x-ray thing.
The scanning wasn't the problem.
The fact that our 3 year old DD was NOT scanned was the problem.
She cried and cried! She said she wanted to be "special" and be scanned.
The TSA Agent was so nice. He came over and told her that she was just too pretty to get scanned.
:D
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
they took my crane scissors so i'd say leave all sharps behind in case they take them from you too
I use my seam ripper to cut thread. Just thought I would mention it. It works. The stewardess got angry with me because I was sewing before takeoff (my worst time on a flight) and I had to put the project with the needle in it until we were airborne. She said "You could put your eye out"! It's true! Flight to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and believe it or not, 1/2 hour from take off to landing. I think I got about two rows embroidered (x-stitch). Edie
Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM

25 year flight attendant - you will need to put any scissors with more than a 2 1/2" blade, rotary blades, etc. in your checked baggage. You can carry your machine on board as long as it is in a bag small enough to either fit under your seat or in the overhead bin. If on a large aircraft, once you board, ask the crew if there is a closet in which you can put the machine. If you are flying on a Regional Jet as opposed to a large aircraft, you will need to check your machine at the gate to be retrieved at the gate in your arrival city. This isn't a big deal! Make sure it is packed well and has a tag on it that says sewing machine. Hope this helps. My mom and I travel with our stuff quite a bit and have never had problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Dental floss for cutting thread? Don't see it. Maybe using dental floss for sewing or either replacing dental floss with thread and using the floss box that way. Yeah, I can see it being used that way.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM

I live in Atlanta, GA. And I would love the location of a good quilt shop. There's only one I know of and it's in Mableton, GA.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 PM

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old 05-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Traveling home from Oregon this past Christmas, I saw another passenger on the flight using those long metal knitting needles. I would have thought that would be a no no but evidently not. Gonna try to take my needle and small scissors on the flight with me during our next flight to Oregon later this summer.