Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can I demonstrate at a quilt exhibition--? >

What can I demonstrate at a quilt exhibition--?

What can I demonstrate at a quilt exhibition--?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Hi Dottymo, if its a quilting exhibition, it would prob be better to demonstrate some part of making a quilt. The folded fabric on polystyrene shapes has been demonstrated by Pinflair at every craft exhibition I have gone to in the last 10 years or more. Quilting seems to be taking off in the UK and showing either a block or binding would get more interest. IMHO.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:51 PM

I believe a lot of quilters have trouble with how to put both ends of the binding together or how to Trim up your blocks so they are all the same size.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM

I'd go for the D9P or the binding. Both will be interesting demos.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I saw Disappearing Nine Patch at a show once. It's amazingly simple. Also something that floored me was a lady showing how very wrinkled fabric can be made perfectly flat by sprizting it with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of water before ironing.
We used to soak a pressing cloth (wrung out) and an iron when we wanted to make a crease in our pants when we made knit polyester pant suits in the 70's...It kept that crease a long time and I would refresh it same way when it started to smooth out.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

You could do hexes, if you call paper pieces, they will send you free kits. you could order as many as you need.

Personally, i'd love to see the joining of ends on binding.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 AM

Joining of ends on binding is my specialty. I've demo-ed it several times.
*First join all binding strips, and lay the binding on the quilt so that you don't get seams too close to a corner.
*Press a triangle into the beginning. When it's on the quilt, turn down the top edge so that it is even with the raw edge on the side. Crease this well or draw a line on that crease so you can see it.
*Start sewing on the binding about 8 to 10 inches from this triangle. Leave that tail free.
*Now go back and put a pin in the quilt about 16 to 20 inches from where you started sewing. This is where you will stop at the end. (I'm not going to go through how to do the mitered corners here.)
*Sew around to the pin. Take the quilt out of the machine.
*Pin binding as you will want it to lay. Snug it up a little. Now ends of binding are overlapping.
*Cut off the end of the binding at the bottom of the triangle. The two pieces will be overlapping exactly as long as the binding is wide. It doesn't matter how wide your binding is. The triangle will be the correct measurement.
*Take the pins out. Pick up both ends RST. Find where the crease of the triangle is and twist these two pieces so that the crease is going side to side, not top to bottom. Pin very well.
*Sew on the crease.

*Snap the quilt straight and see if the binding fits now. If you sewed top to bottom, it won't work. Frog stitch and do it again. Sometimes that happens.
*Finger press the seam open. Then trim out the seam allowance.
*Carefully fold the binding in half with the seam allowance still open.
*Sew this last piece of binding onto the quilt.
It will be very hard to see where your binding was sewn together. That seam looks exactly like any other seam in your binding.
Hope this works for you.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:14 AM

How about demonstrating a two color binding? Bottom side matches backing, top side matches top. It is easy to do.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Not related to quilting but my regular job. I usually do what I am good at and can do in my sleep. Something I've done enough, there is no question I can't answer.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:36 AM

How about how to hand quilt?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM

We've had people demo prairie points; how to use specialty rulers (i.e. no waste flying geese, etc); mitering corners of borders, using flanges in borders, specific blocks, and twilling. All were 20-30 min demos and well appreciated. I'd also like to see different ways to do applique.