Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me? >

What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me?

What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I would first take a large square of it, fringe it 2-3 inches deep all the way around, then zigzag around just above the fringe to keep it from fraying any more, then wear it as a shawl with a large pin on the shoulder to hold it.
This is what I would do too!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 AM

*** Love the idea of a SHAWL, if there is enough fabric.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I would first take a large square of it, fringe it 2-3 inches deep all the way around, then zigzag around just above the fringe to keep it from fraying any more, then wear it as a shawl with a large pin on the shoulder to hold it.
this is what i would do also. i thought that it being from scotland it was a clan tartan, but couldn't find it on any of the clans tartan pages here http://www.scotclans.com/scottish-cl...-pattern-book/ ....i am of the wallace clan, and i personally feel the clan tartans look best draped as a shawl or pleated as a skirt. and i've never heard of true scottish plaids being anything but yarn dyed woven wool. a very intricate & interesting process.
link to a FAQ page ...

http://www.scotclans.com/scottish-cl...ok/tartan-faq/
Old 03-02-2017, 10:05 AM

I live in Scotland and plaid fabric as oppposed to a real tartan is widely available. If it is real tartan it will be quite thick and a bit itchy as it's made with pure wool. To me this looks like some kind of plaid and not pure wool( I could be wrong as I can't feel the fabric.) What about a couple of sofa cushions with either an appliqué West highland Terrier or a stags head?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Thank all of you for your posts. I think NOTMORECRAFT may be right. I really don't know a lot about different kinds of fabric but I'm nearly positive it is not wool. I kind of like the idea of pillows for the sofa with appliqué. It measures about 60" x 60" so I suppose I could get a shawl and a couple small pillows made from it.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM

We'll be waiting to see what you come up with!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:53 AM

You didn't mention how much fabric you received but If you have enough, what about a pillow cover with a Scottie dog applique? If you have plenty of fabric, make 1 for your friend also. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:03 AM

If your fabric is wool, like I would expect, please do not ruin it by felting it! Use it to make beautiful shawls or scarves. Fringing the ends is a wonderful idea, easy to do, and so in keeping with the hand of lovely wool. you could use appliques on the ends if desired. Stretch your sewing skills and work with wool. It is simply a wonderful fabric.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:40 AM

I like the ideas of a shawl or pillows. I would not make a quilt from this as it is a good sized piece and reminiscent of your friend's trip. It is a beautiful yardage that I'd prefer it not be cut into smaller pieces. I sometimes do day trips with a local bus company and this would be a handy "poncho" type wrap for such an outing--easy to use as a coverlet on the coach but also as the light jacket/sweater sort of coat when moving about.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:41 AM

Perhaps use for a tablecloth? placemats? napkins?