Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is in this case and how do I get it out? >

What is in this case and how do I get it out?

What is in this case and how do I get it out?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
It's out!!!!
My first post to read this morning and how I do love a good mystery. Love it, love it, love it. Love when mystery works out and where is the picture. I see more pages to read. (Keep reading doglover the book is not over) Is it coming? I am so excited.
doglover.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Mama...what a great machine! I had to laugh at the beginning, that is the kind of thing that happens to us...gifted the box..no key..LOL! What find though when you got her open.....maybe you could talk to the elderly "friend" of your sister and find out more about how she came to have the machine?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Wish I lived closer my son can pick just about any lock, dont ask me how I know and no Im not proud of him for it but it does come in handy. He learned how to do it when he was 12. Public schools teach our kids wonderful hobbies!
He was seriously taught this by public schools???????
Old 10-01-2011, 05:27 AM

Oh she is such a BEAUTIFUL baby. You have a wonderful treasure, sure glad you got the lid off without damage. Congrats. :D :D
Old 10-01-2011, 05:27 AM

My sister gave me this yesterday. An elderly friend of hers was cleaning out her house and gave it to her. She promptly passed it on to me!

The case is heavy so I know there is a machine in there! But I have no idea how to open the case!! Any suggestions? DH wants to break up the box ( over my dead body!) So while he's at work please help me!!

Thank you!
Darlin, take it to a locksmith. They can open anything and make a key to fit.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 AM

That would drive me nuts. LOL...
Old 10-01-2011, 05:36 AM

I believe all Singers keys were a straight key with a sguare end ask your DH if he has a set of 'Torque' screw drivers I misplaced my key for my treadle and thats what I used -I did find the real key -it was right where I put it so I would not lose it during my move-the glove box in my car
Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by jad1044
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I have found something that makes the lock turn... but I don't know whether to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise? Maybe someone who has a case could tell me that?
I have one the same I will check out which way to turn it, I was also given a key just the other day, if it fits mine I can send it to you if you want it. Let me check it out first OK.

BTW if your DH damages that case I will RUN across the pond and beat him to death with a feather duster :twisted:

This is my one:

A Singer 201K sews the most wonderful straight stitch and one of Singer's best machines.
Make sure the feather duster is full of dust first - and get right in his face!!!! :)
That looks just like my 201k, it came to me as a hand crank; it soon became a treadled machine after I wound the first bobbin.
I thought my arm would fall off. I also have a 99K that is using the hand crank. My granddaughters just love using the 99K, they like being in total control.

1936 Singer 201K hand crank/treadle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]264731[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264678.jpe   attachment-264679.jpe  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Don't break the case. The key needed is very universal. You can buy them on ebay or maybe a friend has one you can unlock yours with.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:50 AM

Wow, I haven't seen a sewing machine case like this one in ages!! Please don't let anyone break it - I am sure the case alone is a great antique find!!

I am sure a locksmith could easily open it for you and when you do get it open, I hope you will post pictures of what is inside.