Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is in this case and how do I get it out? >

What is in this case and how do I get it out?

What is in this case and how do I get it out?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 AM

What an awesome story you have here. From getting the box to opening the box and finding such a beautiful treasure. To top it all off with finding a family tree connection with someone on here. Oprah a new story for you. :)
Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

You can open it with a small screwdriver and the key turns clockwise to unlock. (Apparently I am too late) Beautiful machine.

A funny little story about picking a lock. We had a restaurant in Florida and two elderly lady customers (who had never been particularly nice) had locked their key in their Cadillac. My DH said he could get into the car without damaging it. They told him he couldn't get into the car as it was theft proof. (ex) DH told them he used to do that for a living. (joking) When he opened the door, one of them said "Well, it is about time. We have an appointment." He threw the keys on the seat and locked the door back. They never came back after the locksmith arrived to open the lock

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Wish I lived closer my son can pick just about any lock, dont ask me how I know and no Im not proud of him for it but it does come in handy. He learned how to do it when he was 12. Public schools teach our kids wonderful hobbies!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:01 AM

I have been looking at the picture of this very pretty, interesting machine with it's bright, colorful decals. Don't machines with these bright, red decals have the title of "red eye" machines -- anyway, it is beautiful and I'll bet you are going to love sewing on it.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 AM

What a beauty! I'm so jealous. Have fun.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

So beautiful! Was that pretty pink thread on her when you opened her up?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 AM

you are one lucky lady to have it given to you. she is a pretty one
Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 AM

That is a model 128 with LaVincadora decals and it looks to be in wonderful condition. I would clean it carefully. oil it and use it!! You may want to join Treadleon.net for lots of information about cleaning/servicing people powered sewing machines.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 AM

I'm glad to hear that there are so many machines in Singer Castle now. We toured there the first year it was open and there was only ONE sad old machine. We'll have to go again next year.

Originally Posted by polly13
My eyes popped when I saw that beautiful machine. For those who enjoy Singer history of how their sewing machine came to be, you might enjoy a summer trip to the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River and tour the Singer mansion on one of the islands. Many vintage machines are placed throughout the mansion.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM

It is a lock. My box had a Singer 99 in it. The lock has two little prongs that come out to lock on to the base. If you can buy a key at any price do it. I have not been able to find one and I have been looking for some time. My case is now open, but I can't close it up as you have to lock it to secure it.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My sister gave me this yesterday. An elderly friend of hers was cleaning out her house and gave it to her. She promptly passed it on to me!

The case is heavy so I know there is a machine in there! But I have no idea how to open the case!! Any suggestions? DH wants to break up the box ( over my dead body!) So while he's at work please help me!!

Thank you!
Inside most likely a vintage sewing machine, the key to unlock is a flat little key with two little projections on each side near the tip. I have successfully opened these before with a small flat blade screwdriver, oops didnt read all the posts before posting, lovely machine!!. :D