Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel? >

What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel?

What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
I did one for christmas for my DH and it wasn't to bad to work with. Clean out your machine alot! There's tons more fuzz that gets in but it comes out easy if you clean it fairly often. It seemed to have a bit more strech than I'm used to so I also pinned alot, but it all went really smoothly. Good Luck, I hope you post pics when your done!
All good advice. It DOES produce lots of fuzz, so cleaning the machine often is a must. Pinning a lot and being careful not to stretch are all good ideas.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Make sure you wash the fabric first & dry the way you will wash the quilt when finished. Press fabric before cutting, may want to use a bit of spray starch to control the fabric.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 AM

i just finshed the last of 3 flannel quilts for my 3 grandsons.....all of the above suggestions are great, pre washing or not is a personal preference (i do not), and it does stretch more, so my suggestion to you is PIN PIN PIN....i found when i did not pin, coz i was just doing a short sashing on a block, the fabric moves and i always ended up with it being uneven....so even with those short runs, pin it up........gina
Old 02-13-2011, 07:07 AM

I'm using flannel and fleece combo on some of the baby quilts I've been making - I've never pinned so much in my life! It "moves" easily as it has a high loft and even just the flannel/flannel one I made - required so much pinning to keep it from moving also - also a high loft flannel. But, it is making up some lovely little baby quilts! I have used flannel on my grandson's twin sized quilt for his bed. I pieced the quilt top and used flannel on the backside for cuddly warmth! and he loves it - and It was not bad to work with - just use those handy pins! Ordinarily I don't use pins; I can ususally handle just laying fronts and back together and get a very nice seam, but not with using the loftier fabrics.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ElizH
Be sure to use high quality flannel or it will not look very nice after a dozen or so washes! Ask me how I know. : )
I asked at the LQS if all flannel pilled and she said yes. What flannel do you recommend and I'll see if I can get it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

i love working with flannel, been using flannel in sewing for many years, in all seasons; i always buy good quality, heavy double sided flannel. i have found some very good deals at fabric.com; but i pay the big bucks at quilt shops for benartex flannels too...they are wonderful to work with. i never starch my flannels, i only spritz with water...do not over press, you will distort. i've used warm & natural batting and dream wool batting in flannel quilts...both are wonderful, the quilts are soft, fluffy, luxurious and very warm so well loved in cold climates :thumbup:

flannel crazy quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136446[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-136441.jpe  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Thank you all for the valuable information. I took DH to an LQS today and we fondled the flannels so I could get an idea of what he likes.
Can't you get arrested for that? LOL
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM

I just prewash my flannel twice and iron it out. I only use flannel as batting for light weight summer quilts. I really don't like the feel of flannel on my skin.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM
RST

You should give some thought to how you plan to quilt the finished product, as flannel is, in my opinion, a little harder to quilt. For one thing, it's heavier, so with a large quilt, you will have a lot of weight to manipulate.

Another thing is that it's "stickier" so free motion quilting can be harder, though certainly not impossible. I definitely reach for my gloves and the super slider teflon sheet when I'm quilting flannel.

RST
Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Following is what I do when piecing flannel for a quilt. (I have not do this for a rag quilt, but I haven't made any rag quilts yet.)

This is the only time I prewash and dry, and I do it *twice* because flannel can shrink an incredible amount.

After washing, I starch the flannel heavily to restore body and to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't stretch and distort while cutting and piecing. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" it onto the yardage with a large wall-painting brush, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. This makes for very accurate cutting and piecing of flannel. The flannel is about as stiff as thin cardstock (odd, but it works!).

Depending on the pattern and intended usage, I might increase the seam allowance of blocks to 1/2", as flannel can ravel.

As others have mentioned, stop and clean out your machine frequently (especially the bobbin area).
THANK YOU FOR SENDING THIS IN - IT SAVED ME ALOT OF TYPING!!!! It's what I needed to know before I made those first flannel quilts.

I will also add that the bulk of flannel itself makes it hard to get exact alignment of seams sometimes, and what you thought was pinned down "just right" as you sewed over the pins slooooowly can still come out slightly wonky. But for all the extras that go into flannel quilts, these are The Go To quilts for all three of my grandchildren - they have both quilting cotton quilts and flannel quilts but go to the flannels first.

Also, NEVER GO CHEAP ON FLANNEL. Get the best quality you can - as another poster said, "Ask me how I know this."