Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What charity do you donate Quilts? >

What charity do you donate Quilts?

What charity do you donate Quilts?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM

I donate to Quilts for Kids, my local guild and various other "fund raisers" such as Relay for Life and Heart of Hope
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

My friends and I also try to donate to our local Battered Womens shelter.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM

When my mother-in-law was in a nursing home, they loved anything they could get their hands on. Especially quilts and afghans for the residents!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Ed

We donated quilts to Project Linus. Some go to local nursing homes. Some go to the local hospitals. We also try and help a local church that makes quilts and sleeping bags for the homeless. And then there is always a benefit we try to keep a quilt or two for. My wife and I just love to quilt and try to help others when we can with our quilting. And there are others we donate to. We most likely would not quilt as much if we ever got TV hookup. Don’t get me wrong, we have TVs put they are hooked up to DVD players. We watch what we want to watch. Sometimes it may take a week to watch a movie. But we get a lot of work done. :) :)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Call your local children's hospital. They have told me that they can use Isolette covers. Helps keep the bright light out of babie's eyes. Check the hospital for sizes needed.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I send them to Afghanistan. Kids who run the risk of stepping on IEDs every day and cold military like them.

I remember years ago, when I had contact with local nursing homes, that the lap blankets were really appreciated. I know of a number of nurses who walked out with them. So, the demand was pretty high.
See, this is what I have trouble with. I love to make quilts to donate, but...I want them to go to needy people and not have somebody walk off with them . I was told/read where you should never make pretty quilts for the homeless because either someone from the organization you are donating to will walk off with it or they will have to fight for it out on the streets. That is so sad to me. With the economy the way it is, there are more homeless people all of the time and they can't all live in warm climates.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:35 AM

After working in Nursing Homes for the past 30 yrs, you would be SHOCKED at how many families DO NOT provide for their parents/family members. I have donated 5 lap quilts each Christmas for the past 15 years and only for the ones that either do not have family or neglectful families. There are many that do not receive a Christmas present unless staff donate. And yes, some do disappear, but, so do chocolates, sweaters and other gifts(sadly enough). I don't make real fancy ones, usually log cabins or nine patch variations, because, the elderly don't want UGLY either. Sorry for the rant, but, wherever you donate to, there is always a chance of it being stolen. Once in awhile, we just have to listen to our hearts and donate, and try to ignore the threat of others dishonesty.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 AM

I do them for cancer patients, they really need them when taking their teatments. Here is a post I did earlier

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-128324-1.htm

This lady will appreciate any help you can give her.

We also have a Victoria's Quilts here in Canada to that one can donate to.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 AM

My LAQ has several foster children that she frequently adopts. She had started donating quilts to various agencies, but now has focused on her passion for these foster children. She will quilt any quilts made for foster kids from the very young to the teenagers. She and her friends/guild/etc make the quilt and a matching pillow case that is used to hold the quilt as the gift. Often these kids come to her and other foster parents with barely clothes on their backs. She has designed a label to add to the back of the quilt as well. Her goal is to have every foster child in our state decked out with their very own quilt. What a blessing to these poor kids. They just feel loved cuddled up in them....
Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

i donate to the senior center, hospice, the womens resource center and the fire department locally. there are plenty of residents in facilities who have no family-who would appreciate the 'gift' but remember if you donate to a facility the item will go through the facility laundry- which means washed in hot water- dried in a large commercial dryer- they do not have time to give certain items special care- so make sure the item will hold up to that kind of care. assisted living residents also have needs.