Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Color Backing For White Quilt? >

What Color Backing For White Quilt?

What Color Backing For White Quilt?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM

I made a quilt with lots of white on the front so I used white on white for the backing.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

I would use white on the back and add a row down the center back of squares using colors from the front - just for fun
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

As the others have said .... white!
Although, without our seeing the quilt, it's hard to say. There's lots of possibilities without it being totally white. And the mood fo the front could influence what the back should be like.

I'm not partial to "white" by itself, and would probably look for a compatable "nothing print" that works with the front. Or use a combo of the front fabrics for a patched back.

Remember ..... there's no rules .... and the right way, is your way! :)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM

I'm partial to white on white myself. However, if there's another dominant color on the top besides white, how about that one? It would be easier if we could see the quilt.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

If your batting is thick/dense enough so that the backing won't show - whatever suits your fancy.

If the backing shadows through your batting to the front, I would go with white or "almost white" for the backing.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks all. Haven't decided on backing.The quilt is Summer in the Park.There's a tutorial on MQC.

I'm thinking white on white......but we'll see.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM

Would love to see a picture of your top
Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 PM

I'll be the voice of dissent here. Sorry all. I would use whatever fabric compliments your quilt top. If it's all cotton I would use cotton or bamboo batting, both soft and natural, less wear on the cotton fibers of the top (assuming you used 100% cotton on the top). I know a lot of people like and believe that piecing the backing is the thing to do but as a LA'r it makes it all the more difficult to get good even stitching both on the front as well as on the back. Those machines glide so smoothly and every little seam is like hitting rutted out railroad tracks. It makes it more difficult when you can't see where the seams are coming on the back as you work on the front also. If you're going to hand quilt, each seam will mean double the amount of fabric you have to shove your needle through and makes for more difficult even stitches though in hand quilting it's easier to keep an eye on the back to see where you're going to run into them. Just saying. I hope it helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Thank you.......it helps.Yes,it's all cotton & same for back.Will prob go with WOW back & maybe a blender for binding.I want to get the blocks sewn together & see which color speaks...that will be the binding. Do I sound crazy ? No hand quilting,so LA advice rules....

"Just saying. I hope it helps."