Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are Considered Solids? >

What Are Considered Solids?

What Are Considered Solids?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Jenn, if you want some great ideas on quilts using solids, goggle Amish quilts. A traditional Amish quilt is made of solids only. You might get some good ideas of color combos and/or patterns.
Great answer...I love the look of Amish quilts...so plain, yet so beautiful!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 AM

"a solid has NO, NONE, ZILCH, ZERO pattern to it at all. I'd call what you were given a tone on tone. But if they gave you a tonal as a solid then your other two fabrics ought to fit their bill of "solid" too."

"the first blue fabric shows up on my computer as a tone on tone blue. I'm assuming from other responses that I'm viewing it incorrectly for some reason."

Reply...

I think what you are seeing as tone-on-tone blue is what the camera flash did to the appearance of the fabric. In person it looks very solid and it's name is Moda Bella Solid Nautical Blue.

Thanks for the responses. I sorta thought the second picture fabrics wouldn't do, but I was hoping since I had just bought them on sale! I don't have many solids. I'm going to have to buy something. I keep telling myself to stop buying fabric for no reason because I end up buying more when I have a new project anyway. I'm not really saving anything by buying stuff on sale.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Jenn, if you want some great ideas on quilts using solids, goggle Amish quilts. A traditional Amish quilt is made of solids only. You might get some good ideas of color combos and/or patterns.
I was thinking about doing that. I already have a design started on graph paper. This should be fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 AM

My screen shows first as solid. The other two as blenders,TOT. Without asking I would ASSUME (and you know what that does) that since they specified solid, solid it what is expected. Ask your guild and take some of the material you showed us as examples.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM

To me solids fall into three groups. Reads like a solid, a true solid and a textured solid. Reads like is a fabric that has a fine print you can't see unless you are looking at the fabric from a close distance, but looks like a solid from a distance. A true solid is a solid colour with no print or texture at all. Textured solids are solids with a texture such as Mode Marbles, or a sponged like look.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM

I wouldn't even consider shot cotton a solid. I'm currently working on a 'solids only' challenge and they're very clear that it's SOLIDS only....all threads are dyed the same color, front and back of the yardage are identical.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM

"as long as you give proper credit due"???????????????????

So, who is going to decide what is original and what is not and what is in the public domain?[/QUOTE]

"Proper credit" means that you have to advise what pattern you used and who designed the pattern. Often this is put on the label. When in doubt if using a specific pattern then give credit.

Also Solid means NO pattern even if it is a tone-on -tone. If in doubt clarify the rules with the organizers of the challenge. All of the fabrics that you posted look like prints to me!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM

I call those fabrics in the pictures "almost" solids, but they really work about the same way or maybe better. Iv' used them in what few quilts Iv' made so far.