Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What could I make for a teacher

I am appliqueing onto kitchen towels and adding rick rack to the bottom of them. I took coordinating towels and also "doctored" them up but cut them in 1/2 and crocheted at the top of them so they can hang on cabinets. Then I made knitted dishcloths and may try to get some quilted potholds made as well. I have several sets made up to give to the grandkids teachers, co-workers, etc. I did this last year and the ladies that received them loved them!

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

From a retired teacher....all of your ideas are good! Keep in mind, though, if some students give the teacher similar items (totes for example) the teacher has to be sure to use each gift equally. The children will notice. So I vote for items for the home....tablerunners, etc.

Nancy's Notions has a great pattern for a quilted/insulated casserole cover that is very easy to make. Just need 2 22" square pieces of fabric, some insubrite, and 2 D rings. Takes about an hour to make.

Blog Entries
    As a retired and substitute teacher... please stay away from "apples" unless you know they like them. I like apples but can't tell you how many unuseful apple items I got. Things quilted I would have liked.... placemats, napkins to match, table runner, table top, hot mitt, hot pads, a simple throw... keep it small but useable. Holiday items are good in the aforementioned categories. Hope this is helpful.

Blog Entries
    As a former teacher, I always had a good use for a new tote bag, or perhaps a quilted covered journal. I never really appreciated things for my house as I had my own style of decorating.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I was a primary teacher for years and years. I appreciate the thought when people gave gifts however I had all the mugs, #1 teacher gifts and gift baskets that I could stand. I would have been over the moon if someone had made me a quilted gift. I think the tote, placemat or laprug ideas are great. I also like the idea of a lesson plan book cover.

I am a teacher. Though I LOVE and APPRECIATE that people think of me, I want you to know I have more mugs and candles than I will ever use!! But I agree... ALL teachers love totes!! They use them for all kinds of things... lunch bags, school work, etc. Mug buckets and snappy happy wallets would really be liked... Also, many of those teacher wall hangings only get put away--having made many for my own kid's teachers I was once told this by someone I made one for. How about one for the classroom--maybe an interactive calendar? Or IPAD cases, Kindle covers, mouse pads, etc. They would be appreciated, used and the teacher would think of you each time he/she uses it. But seriously, A sincere letter to the teacher, written by your child, thanking her/him is really the best gift of all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrings View Post
    I made these for my granddaughter's teacher last year. (My first photo upload. I hope I did it right.)
    Hi Mary,

I think these are just lovely, and you could do them "quilt as you go" method - so when you are done all you have to do is put on the binding.

Mary could you please email me, I have been wondering how you are doing - I did PM you with my email address a while ago.
    Hugs, Donna
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I have been wondering what I could make DS's teacher, looks like I need to find a tote pattern. Thank you.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i made a small wall quilt for my grandson's teacher in the first grade. I gave him the 'fabric crayons,' he drew a red apple with a green leaf and then colored it thickly per instructions. Then I ironed the muslin well to set the crayon, quilted around the 'real sized' apple and leaf and then continued the leaves round the outside of the little (24") quilt in tone on tone ecru. i made enough leaves for each of the children to be able to put their name in a leaf, along with the teacher and her assistant. I sent a permanent ink fabric pen and an explanatory note with the little quilt. Months later, I was picking him up, had to go to classroom and saw the quilt on the wall (red and green tiny double ribbon hangers set into the binding).... 'oh, you didn't have the kids sign the quilt yet?' and she looked horrified and said, 'I'm not gonna let them write on my quilt!' It was her gift for Teacher's Appreciation week in April, so I guess that's okay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Sounds like a great idea - but when I tried to go there, all I got was "Page Not Found"
    Same here Could you try to repost the link

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamatron View Post
    I have been wondering what I could make DS's teacher, looks like I need to find a tote pattern. Thank you.
    I make tote bags on the second night of any of my sewing, or serging classes. This gives me a good idea of everyone's sewing skills and gives them a large bag to carry everything to class for the rest of the semester.
    1. Get 3/4 yd. of upholstery fabric from a remnant bin
    2. trim off 3 inches along the 54" side and set aside for strap
    3. trim the remaining fabric to 24" x 54"
    4. fold in half, sideways to make a pc 24" x 27"
    5. with RS together, sew sideseams flat from top to bottom
    6. while bottom is folded flat, mark crease with chalk along folded edge, several inches in from each side
    7. now open side seam, match seam to chalk mark on bottom, putting pin thru to match up
    8. now sew straight across the corner at any place you like...perpendicular to the seam/chalk mark, I like 3"...the seam will make a triangle which gives you a 'box' bottom
    9. fold triangle-shaped corners to inside, extra layers make better bottom
    10.Top hem --Turn bag RS out, turn top down 1" and then again, another inch, or bind
    11.Cut pc of heavy (or 2-3 layers) of cardboard, to fit bottom of bag (approx 24" x 3" [or appropriate width depending on your choice]) for step 8.
    12.Push cardboard into bottom, as you turn RS out
    13.Strap --serge, hem or bind one long edge
    14.Fold strap in thirds longways, raw side first, hemmed side last. Now stitch thru all layers several times, about a 1/2" from edge and then 1/2" apart (you can put a layer of batting inside if you like...gives more body)
    15.Attach strap several inches inside or outside, centering the strap on the sideseam. Sew a box around the attached section, on 4th side of box, turn catty corner and make one leg of 'X' in the box, sew to opposite corner and repeat, finishing the 'X'.... this makes a strong connection for those heavy bags.

Many times my students tell me this is their favorite project and they continue to make them for gifts and specific projects.

Below is my current favorite, forest green vinyl that i quilted in green roses and leaves... big, soft and incredibly useful...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deemail; 11-09-2011 at 11:28 PM.

I would make a little sewing kit, the kind they can keep in their desk for repairs for their or a little ones clothing. You could make it a quilted cover, like a wallet, then enclose, needles and some diff colored threads, maybe some snips.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

My niece is a first grade teacher. She has asked me to make a few things for her. A wall hanging for outside her door with her name, room number and what grade it was. A tote bag for her "homework". I made her three small pillows she used somehow in her reading groups. And a cushion for a chair. Some are specialty things just for her but the wall hanging and tote would be great....and I also like the mug rug idea. And what about some of the cup cozies that go around coffee cups or water bottles? Little zupper bags are great too.
    Daffy

I just love all the great ideas as gifts to make for a teacher. Now my daughter wants a gift for the bus driver as well. I found a tote pattern with lots of pockets in it that I thinking of making. Also, I thought that I would make them some mug rugs and potholders. Do you think they could use an insulated quilted lunch bag? I need to find a pattern for one.
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

Power Poster
    SueDor

I have been making totes for my DGD to give to her nurse at her school (she is a juvenile diabetic so has a close and personal relationship with the school nurse.)
    I also think an insulated lunch bag would be wonderful. Do a google search and free patterns should pop up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    I never knew a teacher that didn't love another bag
    Truer words were never spoken. Make totes PLEASE!! Having been in education, every Christmas teachers joke about being "mugged" so I'd stay away from the mug rugs because of this. Most really great teachers aren't "anchored" to their desks and tend to use cups only in the lounge. This because they set their cups down all over the room otherwise. There are exceptions but the majority of those live in high schools. Elementary school teachers tend to move around. With hot drinks there is a safety issue as well. On the other hand, any kind of desk organizer would be a useful item but hear this. Teachers covet any kind of tote and any size from large stacks of test paper holders to what we used to call "Tow-Sacks".

Personalizing is good but not too much. For example, teachers do change rooms so room numbers are out. They have also been known to change grades! I would have loved anything with books or reading themes, of course. My nickname was Holli so anything with holly incorporated, I could use all year long (as I did my Christmas china at home). Any one who gifted me a lap quilt, I would have LOVED especially if the child picked out the fabrics and the label included his/her name along with the quilter and date.
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 11-10-2011 at 04:35 AM.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by azwendyg
    How about these mug "bucket" organizers? They take just a little over an hour each if you're quick, and my daughter, who is a 5th grade teacher decided to make them for each of the teachers on her team because she thought they'd be " a teacher gift they'd really use!" http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mug-"buckets"-t163322.html

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Sounds like a great idea - but when I tried to go there, all I got was "Page Not Found"
    I can't seem to get the link to work, so here are a couple of pics.

Wendy

As a teacher who has received a lot of crazy gifts, I like all of the above suggestions and would be thrilled with any of
    Them. Of course you can't beat a taco wrapped in a dryer sheet like one of my kids brought me.

Blog Entries
    I think only one person suggested making a classroom wallhanging. I like that idea, and also love those things with pockets in them to hold either small supplies or educational aids. Or a nice floor cushion for the book nook in her room ( if the kids read on the floor)?

I am a teacher. I would have to go with the idea of a large tote. We are always looking to put our large teacher's editions and papers to correct in. If they don't use them now, eventually they will.

Blog Entries
    Apple mug rugs, with an apple mug - and a few packets of hot chocolate - or if you know they drink tea, add in some of Earl Greys' best....
    JO

I'm going to attach 2 patterns that I recently bought. One is for potholders that I got from a quilting shop and the other one is a grocery bag carrier. Just an idea. I think Joann Fabrics has the Butterick Patterns on sale too in case you liked that pattern.

Kathy

A tote is a good idea. I made table runners for my kids teachers and they loved them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast