Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What could I make for a teacher >

What could I make for a teacher

What could I make for a teacher

Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

I was a primary teacher for years and years. I appreciate the thought when people gave gifts however I had all the mugs, #1 teacher gifts and gift baskets that I could stand. I would have been over the moon if someone had made me a quilted gift. I think the tote, placemat or laprug ideas are great. I also like the idea of a lesson plan book cover.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM

I am a teacher. Though I LOVE and APPRECIATE that people think of me, I want you to know I have more mugs and candles than I will ever use!! But I agree... ALL teachers love totes!! They use them for all kinds of things... lunch bags, school work, etc. Mug buckets and snappy happy wallets would really be liked... Also, many of those teacher wall hangings only get put away--having made many for my own kid's teachers I was once told this by someone I made one for. How about one for the classroom--maybe an interactive calendar? Or IPAD cases, Kindle covers, mouse pads, etc. They would be appreciated, used and the teacher would think of you each time he/she uses it. But seriously, A sincere letter to the teacher, written by your child, thanking her/him is really the best gift of all!!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ruthrings View Post
I made these for my granddaughter's teacher last year. (My first photo upload. I hope I did it right.)
Hi Mary,

I think these are just lovely, and you could do them "quilt as you go" method - so when you are done all you have to do is put on the binding.

Mary could you please email me, I have been wondering how you are doing - I did PM you with my email address a while ago.
Hugs, Donna
Old 11-09-2011, 10:53 PM

I have been wondering what I could make DS's teacher, looks like I need to find a tote pattern. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM

i made a small wall quilt for my grandson's teacher in the first grade. I gave him the 'fabric crayons,' he drew a red apple with a green leaf and then colored it thickly per instructions. Then I ironed the muslin well to set the crayon, quilted around the 'real sized' apple and leaf and then continued the leaves round the outside of the little (24") quilt in tone on tone ecru. i made enough leaves for each of the children to be able to put their name in a leaf, along with the teacher and her assistant. I sent a permanent ink fabric pen and an explanatory note with the little quilt. Months later, I was picking him up, had to go to classroom and saw the quilt on the wall (red and green tiny double ribbon hangers set into the binding).... 'oh, you didn't have the kids sign the quilt yet?' and she looked horrified and said, 'I'm not gonna let them write on my quilt!' It was her gift for Teacher's Appreciation week in April, so I guess that's okay.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sounds like a great idea - but when I tried to go there, all I got was "Page Not Found"
Same here Could you try to repost the link
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mamatron View Post
I have been wondering what I could make DS's teacher, looks like I need to find a tote pattern. Thank you.
I make tote bags on the second night of any of my sewing, or serging classes. This gives me a good idea of everyone's sewing skills and gives them a large bag to carry everything to class for the rest of the semester.
1. Get 3/4 yd. of upholstery fabric from a remnant bin
2. trim off 3 inches along the 54" side and set aside for strap
3. trim the remaining fabric to 24" x 54"
4. fold in half, sideways to make a pc 24" x 27"
5. with RS together, sew sideseams flat from top to bottom
6. while bottom is folded flat, mark crease with chalk along folded edge, several inches in from each side
7. now open side seam, match seam to chalk mark on bottom, putting pin thru to match up
8. now sew straight across the corner at any place you like...perpendicular to the seam/chalk mark, I like 3"...the seam will make a triangle which gives you a 'box' bottom
9. fold triangle-shaped corners to inside, extra layers make better bottom
10.Top hem --Turn bag RS out, turn top down 1" and then again, another inch, or bind
11.Cut pc of heavy (or 2-3 layers) of cardboard, to fit bottom of bag (approx 24" x 3" [or appropriate width depending on your choice]) for step 8.
12.Push cardboard into bottom, as you turn RS out
13.Strap --serge, hem or bind one long edge
14.Fold strap in thirds longways, raw side first, hemmed side last. Now stitch thru all layers several times, about a 1/2" from edge and then 1/2" apart (you can put a layer of batting inside if you like...gives more body)
15.Attach strap several inches inside or outside, centering the strap on the sideseam. Sew a box around the attached section, on 4th side of box, turn catty corner and make one leg of 'X' in the box, sew to opposite corner and repeat, finishing the 'X'.... this makes a strong connection for those heavy bags.

Many times my students tell me this is their favorite project and they continue to make them for gifts and specific projects.

Below is my current favorite, forest green vinyl that i quilted in green roses and leaves... big, soft and incredibly useful...
Attached Thumbnails qu.bag.dee.tote.green.1.png  

Last edited by deemail; 11-09-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 AM

I would make a little sewing kit, the kind they can keep in their desk for repairs for their or a little ones clothing. You could make it a quilted cover, like a wallet, then enclose, needles and some diff colored threads, maybe some snips.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM

My niece is a first grade teacher. She has asked me to make a few things for her. A wall hanging for outside her door with her name, room number and what grade it was. A tote bag for her "homework". I made her three small pillows she used somehow in her reading groups. And a cushion for a chair. Some are specialty things just for her but the wall hanging and tote would be great....and I also like the mug rug idea. And what about some of the cup cozies that go around coffee cups or water bottles? Little zupper bags are great too.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM

I just love all the great ideas as gifts to make for a teacher. Now my daughter wants a gift for the bus driver as well. I found a tote pattern with lots of pockets in it that I thinking of making. Also, I thought that I would make them some mug rugs and potholders. Do you think they could use an insulated quilted lunch bag? I need to find a pattern for one.