Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What a Difference

Blog Entries
    O yeah it's a necessity.
    Linda

I agree 100%. I use my walking when quilting except for free motion. I have only been at this for two years and wish there was a book of hints for beginners! Dianne
    Dianne

I always use my walking foot to do bindings or anything that has layers. It really makes a difference.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a dual feed on my machine, which makes it like a walking foot, and I use it everyday for everything, even piecing, and it makes all the difference in the world. I don't know if it is considered a true walking foot or not. I also have a walking foot that I can attach to my machine, but this dual feed seems to do the job.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Yes, walking foot for long stretches of straight lines!

LOVE the walking foot! It's a very expensive accessory for Berninas but it has saved me more than once from seeking counselling and/or throwing things!

Blog Entries
    I have to admit: when I used Janome, I only used 3 feet: Quilting/darning, walking foot and one that you use with over-lock stitch. Now that I use a Pfaff, I only use the one that locks the feeding arm down and quilting. Nice, Nice, Nice!

Blog Entries
    i guess if you were struggling with your binding shifting, you weren't using the glue down method. i glue and heat set my bindings down and don't have a problem with them moving.

now that i am quilting on my vintage machines, a walking foot may be a challenge to find but the gluing method makes a walking foot unnecessary. it's probably a good thing too.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 05-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

LOVE my walking foot!

I, too, have discovered the beauty of the walking foot. It is great and after using one, it is difficult to go back to not using one.

It's funny how different people are! My walking foot will never see the light of day again. I couldn't get over how much of a better experience it was to do it without the walking foot!

Yes, I find a walking foot my best friend when I'm working with anything more than one layer.

like my walking foot for lots of things. Makes life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
    I bought a very inexpensive Brother machine because I was having trouble with my Pfaff and put it in the shop. I had to buy a walking foot for the Brother machine and you're right...it's priceless.

Since then, I've wandered back to my16 year old Pfaff Tiptronic 2020, which is very tired, but still sews ok, and it has a much better feed dog, along with a built in walking foot, so I'm happy to be using it again, at least until it gives up the ghost completely. lol
    I think I am building some sort of shrine to my 45-yr-old Pfaff (it still occupies the sewing table). I also bought an inexpensive Brother and am trying to like it, but the quality and control are nothing like the Pfaff. I did buy some sort of walking foot for the Brother and need to put it on and try it.

After fifty years sewing, maybe I should try the walking foot.

I use my walking foot to bind as well. Although I have to admit I had forgotten to take it off and discovered how well it worked.

Blog Entries
    I could not survive without my Walking foot. I use it for flannel, fleece, binding and quilting!
    Quilted Hugs from me to you!! Check out my Blog!!
    http://www.lisasquiltgarden.blogspot.com/

Yep, that's why I got a Pfaff, because it has a built-in walking foot, which I use for everything.

Blog Entries
    It amazes me that some of the members here are only just discovering their walking foot. I've had mine since I started quilting and would you believe it was a man who told me about it, not my teacher. I rang to inquire about a quarter inch foot and this chap said "if you're going to be quilting you will need a walking foot". I rang at just the right time as Janome were having a sale at the time and I got the whole kit (walking foot, 1/4" foot , open toe foot, quilting guide plus extras) for half price. I have 3 Janomes and they all have a walking foot. Don't use it on my 10000 as I keep that for embroidery only.

Blog Entries
    Another trick I learned is to use a serger. It makes a world of difference feeding the quilt through while attaching the binding. I don't have a serger, yet, but I do go to moms and use hers. I have also used the over-locking stitch on my Janome 7700 when I don't have time to go to moms. And then I use my even feed (walking foot) to attach the binding.
    The Quilting Bear

Thank you for this information. I have never used a walking foot when putting on the binding, however, I will give it a try on my next quilt.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I hear people talking about how expensive the wallking foot is. I paid about $10.00 (if that much) for mine. Do the more expensive ones do more? Is the cost because it's for a special machine? Mine works fine. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Never put a binding on without one! It prevents them from being wobbly...like the first quilt bindings I did BWF (before walking foot)!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2