Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with all your quilts!?!?!?! >

What to do with all your quilts!?!?!?!

What to do with all your quilts!?!?!?!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM

I have been quilting for over 50 years and I have given away most of my quilts to kids, grandkids, great grandkids, nieces and nephews and their first babies, the neonatal department at the local hospital, Rape and Domestic Abuse group, friends, neighbors, people I worked with, etc. etc. Never have any problem finding a special place for them. Every one is made for someone special to me and that makes working on them a special joy. This week I am changing gears and making three walker bags, (quilted of course) for friends.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 AM

The first few were for our home, then wedding and baby gifts, then for grandchildren. When I was in breast cancer treatment, I was given a quilt, so I plan to start making them for cancer patients. I take a picture of every quilt that I give away for my scrapbook.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Our church women's group is making lap blanket size (40X60 inch) comfort quilts for nursing home use and for members of the congregation who are home bound.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM

I belong to a group that makes crochet, knitted and quilted covers for sick and needy children in our area. The group also gets donations of yarn and material which are used to offset the cost. Most of the quilts I make are approximately 36 x 44 which are easily machine quilted.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by geckogirl
Hello all!

I just wanted to throw out a topic and see what type of responses I might get :-)

What do you do with all your quilts? Do you make them for family? Is it theraputic? Do you donate them? Do you keep them yourselves? Do you show them? Do you raffle them?

I know there is an organization called Project Linus who provides love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers” and I was wondering if anyone participated with this?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!! I look forward to the responses!!
Yes, I make my quilts for family 2 children and is married and 7 grandchildren between them. As soon as one is finished, one of them gets it and I'm on to the next one. My husband got upset because I'm not keeping enough of them so I am not trying to keep a quilt here and there. I have the last twin quilt to finish for my youngest granddaughter and then I can just have fun for awhile. This winter I did take time out and my hubby a nice comfy new throw and it's all machine quilted and he loves it.

Yes, for me it's very theraputic. I machine piece and hand quilt so it does take time and I'm not as prolific as the machine quilters but my budget wouldn't allow for me to be anyway so out of quilt I do, I really do get my money's worth. It's pure joy to see the face lights up when someone gets one of my quilts. It totally melts the heart when they tell me they have to have one of my quilts to snuggle up with when they are tired or don't feel well. I love it.

My quilt guild and chapter requires us to make charity quilts and I had a huge problem with having to take time out to do that but if I want to belong, I have no choice but I do the minimum. Charity comes from the heart but my quilts belong to those I love and I feel very strongly about that. We do many other things for charity.

Most of the ladies in my quilt chapter say they have no one to quilt for so they do a ton of charity quilting and they love doing it and it truly fills their hearts with love knowing that someone somewhere is snuggling up in one of their precious quilts.

Do whatever you wish with your quilts. If you don't have family to give them to or who don't want anymore quilts because they can only store so many (happened to a few friends of mine) then donating to a charity of your choice is a wonderful way to go while still let you enjoy and love quilting. Quilting is from the heart and if it isn't, if it's stressful, you shouldn't be doing it - just my opinion. Granted we all spit and sputter from time to time (and cry when I prick my finger too hard) but that's part of it.
Hugs
Patty
Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 PM

I have made some for family members or friends and one for my bed. I have one that started as a charity quilt, but I couldn't part with it. I did 2 for a silent auction to benefit a young man with huge medical expenses. All the rest are charity quilts.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 PM

I quilt as gifts for family and friends, and I belong to Project Linus.
Since I also crochet and knit, the afghans and blankets and quilts just keep on coming. I made a table runner for myself at Christmas..............the rest I give away.
I do baby quilts for showers, and since I have arthritic fingers, and hand quilting is pretty much out, I keep my projects small enough I can quilt them on my sewing machine.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 AM

I give away 6-7 queen size quilts a year. These are 5 1/2 or 9 1/2 blocks which are sewn in a row and the rows together. I give these to people that lost a home due to fire, hurricane or whatever. I have a quilt machine so I can quilt one in 2-3 hours. I have one brother, a daughther and a granddaughter that like my quilts, the rest of my family could care less.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Many non-profits are more than happy to have quilts donated for their causes. The quilt group I belong to has made quilts for kids in foster care, hospitals, and an orphanage in Kenya, plus several adult facilities: VA centers, nursing homes, etc. The military also has several places to send quilts for wounded soldiers. Although I am "Slow2Sew," most of my work goes to these places.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM

I made 15 quilts (took me 5 years to complete them while I taught myself how to piece and needle turn applique) to family members one Christmas. While making them, I started making smaller, crib an small lap quilts for Project Linus. Have donated over 500 to the project to date. Still making them but have stopped counting. Have such a fabric stash that I'll be making them until I'm no longer physically able.
Still haven't completed a quilt for myself although most of the embroidered lighthouse squares were started while making the family quilts. Some day I'll get it back out and at least complete it into a lap quilt.
Also have an old fashoned applique butterfly bed sized quilt that needs assembling, along with 3 completed bed quilt tops to sandwich. Since none are appropriate for my 1 1/2yr. old great grandson, have to start making one for him too. Just doesn't seem to be enough time in a day for it all but I keep trying.