Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with bonus squares? >

What to do with bonus squares?

What to do with bonus squares?

Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

kalamaquilts - those two quilts are awesome!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

All these are so nice!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:49 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I am using my orphan blocks and extra units in my gypsy wife quilt. I am just cutting them down or boardering them to get them the right size to fit. It’s fun to recall which quilt they went in or which class I made them in. Besides, it’s helping me get it done faster!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 AM
DJ

It sounds like you have enough to make another quilt. There are tons if ideas of how to arrange HSTs into different patterns. Google Half Square Triangle Quilts and look at the images.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 AM

thank you for the compliments. No pattern for either, I just played with bits on my working wall.
I love that red one, I'm always extra happy when its turn comes around again. The back is a scrappy too.

Something else I've done with bonus triangles is use them stitched on the corner of sashing or blocks. Set the triangle on the corner, stitch it down (on top of the unit) about 1/4" from the edge. These make little mildly raggedy corners.

this is hard to see because the quilt wasn't washed yet, but on the blue triangle you can see where it is stitched down. Trim off what is behind the triangle

now that I look at it, those pink and brown 1/2 square triangles that make the center of the blocks were bonus triangles, from a gifted scraps box. She owned a quilt shop so could afford to start fresh each quilt the sashing and small blocks are from 1.5" scraps
Attached Thumbnails show-pink-scrappy.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 10-27-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM

I usually go with the zip lock bag and forget them. And later donate them. On the off chance I were to do more, I would cut white Or contrasting) 1/2 square triangles, attach the leftovers to them, and then sew them together. It would make a nice table topper, or pieced backing, potholders, doll quilts, bags, whatever.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 AM

I usually go with the zip lock bag and forget them. And later donate them. On the off chance I were to do more, I would cut white or contrasting) 1/2 square triangles, attach the leftovers to them, and then sew them together. It would make a nice table topper, or pieced backing, potholders, doll quilts, bags, whatever. Sometimes it's just nice to do a smaller project. Makes me feel I accomplished something!

And you already have been given lots of good suggestions.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 AM

I always cut extra 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 inch squares and save them. Sometimes I use them to make potholders, coasters, etc. Sometimes I just play with them to see what I can do. I have come up with some amazing items and someone will really like it, guess what -- I give it to them. They are happy and I have had fun. Sewing scrappy is fun, once you learn to let go and JUST DO T!! I have friend who made a quilt last year using 1,560 different 2 1/2 inch squares. Someone will always be happy to take them off your hands.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:39 AM

Old 10-28-2017, 12:46 AM

That was not mine, but I've saved it to encourage me to make something similar. It would make a wonderful baby quilt. I'm thinking I might bring a lot of my hst's to iron on my vacation!