Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with bonus squares? >

What to do with bonus squares?

What to do with bonus squares?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Question What to do with bonus squares?

I just finished a project where I got a bunch of leftover or "bonus" HST. I've got about 100 -120 of them all about 4 inches. I've got a more than a hundred (haven't counted them all yet) that are about 2.5 inches. What should I do with them? Do I keep them and eventually trim them all down and square them up and sew together? Don't square them up but sew them together anyway to get the pieces off my table? Put them in a zip lock bag and forget I have them? I love the colors in the fabric and wouldn't mind making something for me with them. But I just don't know where to begin.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Sounds like you're ready for a scrappy quilt with a variety of blocks. Do you like making pinwheels with hst's? If nothing else, keep them for a while until you have more bonus squares ... or orphan blocks. I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

If all else fails, there's someone out there that would like to make use of them.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:26 PM

I always use my extras for pillows-either make some decorative throw pillows or use those hst's as the cuff of some pillowcases.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I made a wallhanging with leftover HSTs and added some applique.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Combine them...use the larger ones in the center and the smaller ones around the edges. Very modern.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:24 AM

Sounds like you have enough to make a baby quilt - larger pinwheels in the center, smaller ones outside, with perhaps a separating border. Then you just have to wait until someone gets pregnant ;o)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 AM

I would sew them together in scrappy pinwheels and put them on the back in a tall column.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I just finished Judy Martins Shakespeare in the Park and I ended up with a million left-over triangles. I must have cut the fabric wrong. I was going to use them in the back but nixed the idea and sent it off to be quilted.
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:28 AM

I think they fall into importance if you are a scrappy quilter, if not they night become a burden?
put them in a bag and send them to me

Here are some used in one of Grand Illusion wall quilts, I turned them into small three part units
and 1/2 half square triangles. Not sure that to call them, 2 bonus triangles with short sides stitched together.

the red quilt I titled Dementia, my mother was with me, with advanced dementia when I made these, working with scraps was about as far as my concentration went I stitched two bonus triangles together, then another two, then sewed them into a 4 piece unit. then added red strings.

the pink one is 40X40 the red one is queen sized
Attached Thumbnails sharyn-woerz-grand-illusion.jpg   sharyn-woerz-grand-illusion2.jpg   dementia-part-duex.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 10-27-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:54 AM

WOW, Love your scrappies and the red quilt really speaks to me. Did you have a pattern?
Very nice job and thanks for sharing. Karen