Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with boxes of quilt magazines

My local library has a shelf of magazines that have been donated that are free for the taking. On rare occasion, I have found a quilt mag or two there. If your library has something similar -- or if it has a book sale, perhaps they will accept your quilt mags. Hope you find somewhere to take them. Tossing them would be such a waste.

I have several boxes that were donated to my local quilt guild. People took what they wanted and what I have is what was left. We're talking around 100 mags. I'm going to drop them off at the library tomorrow (I went through them and kept a few).

We're talking mags from the 70-90's. I don't have space to store them or I would keep them

Blog Entries
    Sooooooooo .... how long will it take for me to get from Alabama to Colorado? Should be a nice drive, and I have a really large trunk in my car!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I use to donate them to my guild's free table but it was always full of magazines. Now I donate them to a local nursing home. The ladies and even the men loved looking at the quilts. Everyone had a long remembered quilt story. The employees said they were the most looked at magazines.
    Great idea!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I would be glad to purchase from you and pay postage. I collect all the quilting magazine and books I can find. my email is [email protected]. Thanks

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I was faced with a similar problem when we downsized. I went through them all and pulled out articles that I thought I might someday make. I put the rest in a garage sale and sold every one of them! I charged about $5/per box and they flew out of there!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Maybe take them to your LQS and just leave them for other to pick thru. An ad on Craigslist might do the job as well. In case you missed it Mustang on pg. 3 said she would love to take them off your hands as well. I hope you find a solution

Blog Entries
    All great suggestion...most important being 'don't throw them away' - donate.

I'm surprised to read that someone posted that Goodwill will not take magazines. I think that may be a local thing. I've seen magazines at all the GWs I visit around here. The GW website sells them. Try giving your local GW a call, explain the situation and the quantity you have and perhaps they'll make an exception.
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

If you have "Craigslist" in your area, put an ad on there that they are free...I'm sure you will get at least ONE quilter who might be interested. I've either circulated them to quilting friends or take them to a quilt meeting for free distribution. It would be a shame to throw them away.

Make a bundle of them and put a nice ribbon around it and give them away for a gift. My neighbor did this for me when I had surgery, she brought me a bundle all cutied up and I got so much reading out of it. It was wonderful. Please don't throw them away.

There are lots of places to donate them including hospitals. You can also post an ad on craigslist.

I donate to my quilt giuld. Some things I take to our Hospice store.

Donate goodwill..
    Carol

If there is a senior center in your town they would probably love to have them. I do that with yarns, books, fabrics and quilting patterns. Many of them are on a limited budget and are thrilled to get them.

Our GW will not take magazines..but I have either freecycled them or you can get about 50 magazines in a priority flat rate box for about $11.00..I know postage went up a few weeks ago so not sure of price of flat rate..
    Kathleen

Good will or Salvation army, thrift shop etc Ihave gotten tons of them there and been a very happy puppy to get them so cheap.

I took all of mine to a quilt retreat and they were gone at the end of the first day! If you belong to a quilt bee or guild they usually take them. Donating them to a local charity is always good. Just don't throw them in the trash, please, maybe some one on the QB will take them off your hands.
    Daisydoodle
    Plant a garden and watch for miraclesÂ….

Blog Entries
    I donated mine to the local federal prison. I did not dream that they could use quilt magazines but they actually teach a quilting class at the mens facility.
    Jodyma

Blog Entries
    I have several suggestions all of which I just used on my enormous pile of magazines and books.
    1. Join the RAK (random acts of kindness) list on this board. Here is the url http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...u-t172506.html
    2. Give them away for the cost of postage (or not if you can afford to) on the Pay It Forward thread here
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/free-offers-donations-f18/
    3. List them on Freecycle
    4. Donate to a quilting group in your area.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I would still like to get a couple boxes. I went to the po site put in a random zip for colorado for a medium flat rate and came up with 11.00 in shipping. could be way off I don't know.
    Deb in Texas

Fill a medium flat rate box. have the reviever pay shipping and post them here under give a way . bet they will be gone before you know it. I would make it clear that the books will be random and you arent going to sort them out. I am pretty sure it is the medium size flat rates that hold magazines nicely.
    Half price books will also buy them if you have one of those stores close so you could make a little bit of money!
    Last edited by raedar63; 02-01-2012 at 07:03 AM.

I take mine to 1/2 price books...
    K
    "You have nothing to lose but wrinkles!"

http://www.nerium.com/join/mrskirsten

Well here is what I've decided to do. I will send medium priority boxes full of mags to anybody who wants them for $12.00 (postage) PM for anybody interested. I didn't even think of Craigslist or Freecycle so I will do that with whatever is left over. I won't be able to send anything out until at least next weekend as they mags are 69 miles away in another town and we are suppose to get a big snowstorm on Friday and I'm not going anywhere...I'm going to sew all weekend.

(p.s. don't worry I won't throw them away...would rather give them to somebody who will appreciate them)

Blog Entries
    So many choices on places to donate
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I freecycle mine or give them to our quilter's group at church.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast