Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What to do with boxes of quilt magazines

[QUOTE=BellaBoo;4928837]I use to donate them to my guild's free table but it was always full of magazines. Now I donate them to a local nursing home. The ladies and even the men loved looking at the quilts. Everyone had a long remembered quilt story. The employees said they were the most looked at magazines.
    Your experience was great. I would love to find those mags at my local Goodwill or half-price bk store, but I know how much such treats mean to my very senior friends.

This is what I vote for. If you can ship them at a good rate, you might post them here and see who would be interested in buying a FRB for the cost of the shipping - $11.00. Not a bad idea for a lot of magazine (30 to 38 can fit in a box). I'm selling mine on Amazon.com, but am also giving a lot of them away to my little quilt group here at the park so they can use them or sell them in their bazaar or whatever. Eventually, I'll have to donate them to a thrift store - probably Habitat for Humanity. I have a lot more than you do, but they are whittling down slowly.

Good luck, but don't throw them out! Other quilters can use them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Call a local quilt guild , and see if they want them. My sister has a shop , and sometimes people bring back old magazines ,so she has a "free" pile . I noticed some of the LQS will have a "free" pile of magazines but they put them in the classroom, so those attending classes get to pick.
    GoodWill is always a choice. Maybe if any church has a quilting group they might like them.
    You could offer them here in ( in bundles) the donation section, with the recipient paying postage.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

vjc
    Put them in sets of 6 at a cheap price and let us know they are available for sale. You will be surprised at how they will sell. Get back some of what you paid for them. Hope this helps.

what to do with quilt magazines

I would take them from you if I lived near you ;~). give them to the library I buy a lot of quilt book/mag from the ones around me also I pick them up from places like my local thrift shops (hospice, seinor thrift etc)

If the guild doesn't want them, maybe advertise on Freecycle?
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

Blog Entries
    I agree with Sandra, Goodwill or Salvation Army will take them. I have often gone through the old
    mags looking for quilting or crafts.

Blog Entries
    Recently I went through my stack of magazines. Most of them had a full year of each mag. Called the library to get their thoughts on them and they told me to bring them down. Chances are that someone might want some of them. Just told them to do as they saw fit. They weren't mine any longer and if someone could get some use from them, that would be great.
    When life goes to pieces, make quilts.

Blog Entries
    How far are you from me in Nebraska, would love to have some.

have any Quilters World magazines, I'd be glad to pay postage for some, as I'm sure some of the other members here on the board probably would too.

I have over 500 quilt magazines, but i just love to go through them when its cold and wet outside.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Donating to guilds or other establishments is a good idea, but I'll tell you what I did to mine. I knew that I would NEVER be able to find a project I'd seen or even a type of quilt I wanted to do, so I tackled one magazine at a time. Leafed through all the pages and saved only the picture and how-to information for projects I really liked and thought I might want to make some day. (Also cut out all templates from the center of the book). Now I have a box full of quilt patterns I really like and refer to "the box" when contemplating a new project or quilt.

my local library has a quilting class - maybe you could check with yours and see if they would like them. Otherwise, I'd call the local guild. Wish I lived closer!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4