Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what to do with donated items? >
  • what to do with donated items?

• what to do with donated items?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Our church is so supportive of our quilt group that they dedicated a small room to our use. We have a full sewing setup in there with donated or loaned machines, and lot of tools and materials, either purchased by the church or donated or loaned by our quilting group members. It's wonderful no longer having to tote everything in each week. The room is kept locked, so things stay put.
    Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM

We keep all tools & supplies locked up & have a dedicated room w/cutting & ironing stations, machines, raised work tables for tying. I know, we are spoiled. If we get donations, we do our level best to use them. Even ugly fabric can be used as a tote bag liner made for an abused woman shelter or potholders for a local soup kitchen. JMHO
    Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sarge1
    I'm starting a quilt group at my church (first meeting tonight!). One of our goals will be to make a group quilt for our school fundraiser. In order to keep costs to the group to a minimum, I solicited fabric donations from the congregation through our church bulletin. I received some fabric, but in addition, one person donated several new, unopened supplies (rotary cutter, patterns, fabric eraser, etc etc). The question is, what to do with these supplies? My initial thought was to put together a basket and have a drawing within the group. Do you think that is an appropriate use of the donated items? Other thoughts were to bring those supplies to each meeting for use by the entire group, or donate them to one of the beginning quilters in the group who may not have his/her own supplies yet. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!!
    Keep the tools FOR THE GROUP. It will grow, and they will come in handy.