Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with this fabric? >

What to do with this fabric?

What to do with this fabric?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:56 PM

You will need to search thru the various "stacked" style designs to make sure you have sufficient fabric. If my memory is correct you need 6 repeats for the original stack and whack. Memory doesn't work sometime.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM

If it were me I would make a shirt. The fabric is awesome.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vusz5Rx5tkQ I found this excellent youtube show on S&W with Bethany Reynolds in case there is someone else out there like me who is wondering what to do
The second I saw that, I thought Stack 'n' Whack. When I made mine, I found that if I cut (tear) the fabric a few inches from the center, I could get more of the shapes with less waste. I added a background piece to each piece of the focal fabric and ended up with a Lemoyne Star. (My computer doesn't know how to spell Lemoyne either.)
Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by yolajean View Post
I think it would be a great "fussy cut" square pattern with all those beautiful colors to put with it. Here is one that I am doing with a finished 6" block. It could be done with larger blocks and would be beautiful.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588336[/ATTACH]
Aurora! You asked for the name of this quilt pattern and I do not know the name. However, if you look closely, you will see that it is a variation of the Log Cabin block with the large 6" square as the base and then strips are added to it. Then the blocks are rotated to make this pattern.

I cut my squares at 6 1/2 inches and then used the white as shown on this example. Cut the strips at 2" except for the outside 2, which I cut at 2 1/8 to give me room for squaring up the block before sewing them together. The squares are from strips cut at 2" and sewn together.

I made a tube by sewing 28 strips together and then sewing the 1st and last strips together making the tube. I then cut the tube apart at different patterns to give my strips some variation. My blocks will end up at 10 1/4 inches. After sewing the blocks together, I am going to add a white border as shown on the pictured quilt, which allows the blocks to appear as if they are floating. Here are some photos of my blocks (in the making). The first photo is the "tube" (around my iron to hold them up.), the second is the strip piece laying flat ready to cut into 2" strips (two layers) and the last is my quilt blocks on my design board.

I hope this helps you. Yolanda

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588366[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]588367[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]588368[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails circle.jpg   strips.jpg   quilt.jpg  
Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 AM

It would make a great S&W. Check out Bethany's book for ideas on different designs.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 AM

So many good ideas, but if none suit you, you can mail it to me. I love Alexander Henry fabric. I vote for OBW.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:34 AM

Well, here is what I did when I received yardage from my MIL. Mine was, I am sorry to say, butt ugly. I put muslin as the back, ugly fabric, then the fabric they use for chenille on top--then stitched at at 45 degree about every quarter to half inch. Next I split down above the backing and made covers for my couches. Lovely brown, gold and aqua hints barely stood out.

Best of luck. Karen
Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Love this pattern could you give the name of it and who designed it.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I belong to a small group of "Guy Quilters" and we sew for QOV. Our leader often gets fabric donated that we won't use for QOV, so he packages it up and gives it to us. This was in my package from the last giveaway. Does it have enough colors to be a Stack-n-Whack quilt? The vertical repeat is about 11 & 3/4, and I have a little more than 3.5 yards. That's all I can think of to do with it. BTW it's an Alexander Henry.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588282[/ATTACH]
A simple way to determine if to do a stack n whack or one block wonder: stack n whack- count vertically how many birds and measure the distance between them, 13 1/2 inches. Your need 8 repeats. For one block wonder, you need 6 repeats. What will the motifs look like? Fold the fabric as if on the bolt, then fold a corner into a triangle. This gives a good idea of what your repeats will look like. Obtaining Bethany Reynolds book, is good advice. Please post a picture when you have cut/ or sewn the motifs.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 AM

another idea is to make "4-patch stack posie". it is similar to stack n wack but blocks are square. Easy to do and pretty. I made one and had 80 blocks none of which were to same. check YouTube for instructions. Have fun!!!!!!