Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to do with finished quilt tops until ready to quilt them?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie
    I have purchased one of the wood folding drying racks for clothes. I fold them gently and hang them on the rack, that way they do not get wrinkled. If it is going to be a while before they get quilted, I will fold a towel into them so there are no hard folds which can wrinkle.
    I also use a wood drying rack. I wrapped the rungs with a small piece of batting I spayed adhesive on and covered that with a strip of muslin. I have small quilts,wallhangings on the lower rungs. A few a folded with the backing.

Blog Entries
    Mine sit folded with their intended backs on top of a box under my quilting frame. Right now there are 4 quilts under there, whispering to me to come & finish!!! Hush!!! Can't you see I'm busy!!! :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I like the coat hanger tip. If you have a plastic hanger, to keep it or your clothing from slipping blue foam on it all the way around. Two birds with one stone.from

At present, mine are in large plastic containers (with backing fabric if I have it) stacked on the pool table. If I have the binding strips already cut, I have them hanging up to keep them wrinkle-free. (Nobody plays pool anyway, but if they wanted to, it's an easy thing to move my containers.)

I store mine in Space Bags, which are the heavy duty plastic bags that get the air sucked out of them with a vacuum.

I thot we weren't supposed to store them in plastic cause they need to breath.

Am I the only one who can't bear to have it hanging around so I quilt it as soon as I finish?!!! My girlfriend thinks I'm weird because I don't just buy fabric because I like it! I only buy when I need something and always go through my left over fabric before I buy anything! I know, I'm so not any fun..........Do you think this story will change when I have grandchildren??!!!

I store the top, back, and binding on a hanger in my sewing room closet. Then when I have a few ready and can make the trip, I add battings and take them to my quilting lady (about 45 miles away). Usually make an outing of the trip with either hubby or other quilting/knitting friends. Of course, lunch is in order and usually have to hit a few shops along the way. We leave early and come back LATE! LOL

I emptied my linen closet. All my finished and unfinished quilts are in there, you don't want to know what I did with my linens.

Hi, I have a wicker laundry container. It holds quite a few tops.Peewee

I store them on a quilting rack in may spare bedroom. That way they are still on display but out of the way of new projects.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What to do with finished quilt tops until you're ready to quilt them?

I was wondering how everyone stores them?
    I have a large cardboard suit box from when DH bought a suit from Land's End. It opens hingestyle. I store them in there with those little moisture eliminator packets that come in things like new shoe boxes. I also wrap them in acid-free tissue. They fit (in the box) perfectly under my shelving unit in my quilting room. Since DH does not buy suits frequently I am forced to finish one of these projects every once in a while to keep the box from being over stuffed. I wish Land's End would just send out these boxes free upon request.
    :lol: :lol:

I fold mine and hang them on hangers behind the door with the backing material, til I am ready to quilt.

I have one hanging in the closet on a skirt hanger, one is in a plastic bag (that you get sheets in from the store) with the border fabric and another is hanging on a hanger from a hook on my design wall (aka closet doors covered with white flannel sheet). I love the idea of using the tube from paper towels (I always knew there was something I could use those for!).

Blog Entries
    In CT I hang them on the over the stairwell railing. In AZ I leave them on the table mocking me until I give up and quilt them. I try to not start a new top until I finish quilting the current one. Last year's exchanges (Black&White and DearJane Christmas) ended my good intentions! And my frozen shoulder and weeks of pain and PT have interfered with my goal of finishing ANYTHING while I'm in AZ for the winter. Thank goodness, the PT is finally showing some progress - just not enough to be able to sew. I can spend HOURS reading what my pals here are up to, though! At least my BRAIN is still in the quilting world.

Blog Entries
    I sort of do the same thing. I don't have a lot of fabric just hanging around like my quilt group does. Wish I did. But what's funny right now...Is I'm going w/ some of my quilting girls to a fabric store tomorrow and I have NO IDEA what I'm gonna buy and why. I do LOVE Batiks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I just did a search and found this cool idea?

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...ions_ss15.html

That IS a cool idea. At least the seams would stay pressed and the top would only need a little pressing.

crleslie-you are SO not any fun!

Blog Entries
    I hang mine on plastic hangers in the closet. I put any leftover material and the backing in a walmart plastic bag and hang it over the hanger. That way if I need any of the material it hasn't been used somewhere else. something that's easy to do.

I measure the top, make the backing and attach a note with that information to the quilt top, fold it and put in one particular cabinet I have for completed tops. When I get ready to start quilting, I go to that cabinet and all are marked with size so I know what size batting to cut, the backs are already made so I can't use the excuse I don't feel like doing something - everything is ready.

Would love to see a picture of the frame your husband built. Sounds neat.

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    My husband built a quilt rack for my unfinished quilts. It is A-shaped, similar to a step ladder and is about 6 feet tall and 36 inches wide, with dowels for hanging quilt tops waiting to be quilted. It was custom made to fit a particular corner of my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    I have a cousin who simply spreads them on a guest room bed -- she has FORTY TWO of 'em on that bed! They stay uncreased that way, of course, but wow. (I asked her if she'd ever checked to see if any long-ago guest was crushed underneath...)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
    I have a cousin who simply spreads them on a guest room bed -- she has FORTY TWO of 'em on that bed! They stay uncreased that way, of course, but wow. (I asked her if she'd ever checked to see if any long-ago guest was crushed underneath...)
    42! Oh my!!! There could be whole families lost under there! :shock: :lol:

Blog Entries
    After I press it I fold it and hang it on a skirt/pants hanger.

The picture of the quilts on the heavy plastic hangers is what my sewing room closet looks like. I use the hangers for larger pieces of fabric that have been washed & ironed as well as for finished quilts. I put scrap pieces of batting over the hangers under the quilts & occassionaly change the location of the folds in the quilts. A bed sheet draped over the closet rod, hangers, & fabric/quilts protects them from dust, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast