Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with finished quilt tops until ready to quilt them? >

What to do with finished quilt tops until ready to quilt them?

What to do with finished quilt tops until ready to quilt them?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM

I thot we weren't supposed to store them in plastic cause they need to breath.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Am I the only one who can't bear to have it hanging around so I quilt it as soon as I finish?!!! My girlfriend thinks I'm weird because I don't just buy fabric because I like it! I only buy when I need something and always go through my left over fabric before I buy anything! I know, I'm so not any fun..........Do you think this story will change when I have grandchildren??!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM

I store the top, back, and binding on a hanger in my sewing room closet. Then when I have a few ready and can make the trip, I add battings and take them to my quilting lady (about 45 miles away). Usually make an outing of the trip with either hubby or other quilting/knitting friends. Of course, lunch is in order and usually have to hit a few shops along the way. We leave early and come back LATE! LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM

I emptied my linen closet. All my finished and unfinished quilts are in there, you don't want to know what I did with my linens.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Hi, I have a wicker laundry container. It holds quite a few tops.Peewee
Old 02-18-2010, 03:08 PM

I store them on a quilting rack in may spare bedroom. That way they are still on display but out of the way of new projects.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by craftybear
What to do with finished quilt tops until you're ready to quilt them?

I was wondering how everyone stores them?
I have a large cardboard suit box from when DH bought a suit from Land's End. It opens hingestyle. I store them in there with those little moisture eliminator packets that come in things like new shoe boxes. I also wrap them in acid-free tissue. They fit (in the box) perfectly under my shelving unit in my quilting room. Since DH does not buy suits frequently I am forced to finish one of these projects every once in a while to keep the box from being over stuffed. I wish Land's End would just send out these boxes free upon request.
:lol: :lol:
Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM

I fold mine and hang them on hangers behind the door with the backing material, til I am ready to quilt.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I have one hanging in the closet on a skirt hanger, one is in a plastic bag (that you get sheets in from the store) with the border fabric and another is hanging on a hanger from a hook on my design wall (aka closet doors covered with white flannel sheet). I love the idea of using the tube from paper towels (I always knew there was something I could use those for!).
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM

In CT I hang them on the over the stairwell railing. In AZ I leave them on the table mocking me until I give up and quilt them. I try to not start a new top until I finish quilting the current one. Last year's exchanges (Black&White and DearJane Christmas) ended my good intentions! And my frozen shoulder and weeks of pain and PT have interfered with my goal of finishing ANYTHING while I'm in AZ for the winter. Thank goodness, the PT is finally showing some progress - just not enough to be able to sew. I can spend HOURS reading what my pals here are up to, though! At least my BRAIN is still in the quilting world.