Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I charge. >

What do I charge.

What do I charge.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Question What do I charge.

This last winter I retired and than we headed south for the winter. We are now home and I am bored. I went into the new quilt shop in town and got a job making guilt tops for the store.

My problem is what should I charge for this work. The last one was about 66X78 or something like that. I also cut and ironed the binding for the quilt for when she gets it quilted. What I got was a Rotary Blade sharpener, it is a really good electric one. It was for sale for 70.00 or something like that.

Now I am making a wall hanging, 4 place mats and a table runner. I am really lost at what I should be charging here. I don't quilt them or anything I just make the tops. Any suggestions???

Thanks! Fay in cloudy Saskatchewan
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM

I did that for a shop for a while. The shop was hanging on but not making oodles of money and I felt strange charging. But, I did put in the time and they did benefit. So our solution was that after every 5 tops I would get free material for any quilt I was making. They got the material at their cost so it didn't kill their budget and I got a free quilt. We were all very happy.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 AM

I did that for awhile and I was paid in yardage. In other words if the top I was making had 7 yards of fabric, I received a store credit of 7 yards. It worked out well and I'm still "buying" off my store credit. The owner also allowed me to use it for notions. We averaged each yard at $10/yard for these notions. I am now a longarmer and no longer have time to make the samples so I referred a friend. She is happy with the same arrangement.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 AM

a friend of mine does this........after the shop is through displaying the piece she gets to keep it, if she wants it. That would be payment enough for me, if I were doing it - oh maybe a few yards of fabric thrown in for good measure!!!!