Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Mom's crocheted blanket???

Depending on how attached you are to them, you could donate them to palliative care or nursing home. That's the sort of thing people in my area make for palliative care.
    If you want to keep them, I suggest you don't cut them. Use them as you would use a blanket of course.

if you aren't going to use them then there are a lot of organizations that will give them to the homeless or to veterans. Don't keep them in a box give them to someone who could use them.

If you do not want them and family members have enough, then wash them and donate them to a shelter or nursing home. There are places out there that would be so grateful to have them.

I too inherited my mother's prolific stash of completed afghans, many, many baby afghans. She passed away in 1998. I kept them all and as granddaughters married and now great grands are getting married or setting up homes they are gifted with an afghan, note and picture of their GRANDmother.

With care these afghans last forever it seems. My husband and I still sleep every night, under the one she crocheted and gave to us when we were married nearly 45 years ago.

In these difficult economic times, you and your heirs or someone within the family may need money....they could also be advertised for sale if you are not comfortable donating them....No harm in that should someone need the money IMHO.

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Blog Entries
    share them...there are sooo many people in need and would appreciate them........

If you don't have family to share them with, I would run an ad and try to sell them or give them to Goodwill so someone else can enjoy them.

I'm so sorry for your loss!
    If your DM just died it may be too soon to do anything with these. I lost both my Dad & my DFIL within a week of each other. I understand how sad you are. Wait at least a year, maybe more! You & your family will be able to deal with these with a clearer head then.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I agree. Keep the ones you like and give the rest to family, or donate them to a hospice or some other charity.

My mom and I talked about this thread yesterday she crochets lots of Afagans and has many stored away, She has gifted all her Children Grand children and Great grands with Many so we discussed them going to a nursing home after we choose what we want she agreed as my MIL was just placed in a Nursing home and is always afraid someone will steal her afagan. There are many people there that could use a little extra warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    If your DM just died it may be too soon to do anything with these. I lost both my Dad & my DFIL within a week of each other. I understand how sad you are. Wait at least a year, maybe more! You & your family will be able to deal with these with a clearer head then.
    What wonderful advice! I totally agree...that sorting out after a death is very often overwhelming. (Ask me how I know?) Just a wonderfully well thought out response Bev!!!!! ((((Hugs))))
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

You will ruin them if you try to cut them apart. I have some that my husbands mother made. He uses one all the time to lay down on the couch or sitting in his recliner. I think it somehow makes him feel a little closer to her. I would definitely leave them as they are.
    Joey

The Seven Dwarves of Menopause

Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful and Psycho

I have thought about this problem you have. It has made me look around my own home and wonder what will my heirs do?? My daughter would never be able to give away anything homemade. And thus the dilema. The question - did she make them for herself or to keep to give as gifts? Did she just make them to keep busy or for a reason?
    If they are of colors you could use - keep them. Clean them before you store them. Drape them around the house.
    If the colors are not what you or your family would consider - than bring them with you when you visit the hospital, nursing home, church, friends, and ask if anyone could use one.
    i dont' know what the size is - and if you cut them up to make one or two - would you use it? What would you do with the leftovers?

I agree with everyone else, do not cut them apart. One can't have too many afgans. I even have them in the car just incase the weather is bad or something happens. Use them knowing they were made with love.

If you had blocks she made those could easily be stitched onto squares to use in a quilt. Any afghans she made that were made out of blocks and then stitched together could be taken apart and done the same way. Just stitch it on like you see doilies done. I crochet and would rather know that my work was repurposed and loved rather than put in a box.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope you can find a way to enjoy the extra afghans.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post

I agree with Bev. Wait a year before making such a huge decision. Go ahead and clean them, if needed, and store them properly, but then wait. You have no idea what these beautiful creations could mean to future generations. I just stumbled across 3 quilt tops my Great-Grandmother made. They are in wonderful condition, colors still bright, because they had been stored in a box, in an attic, since shortly after they were made (1950's) when she died suddenly in an auto accident, until August of 2011 when I found them in my father's attic. I am positively thrilled to have them, and am restoring two for my sisters, and keeping one for myself. We were all there (the three sisters) when the box was opened, and believe me, the tears flowed freely. Even if we hadn't remembered her, and we all did, and loved her; even if she had been just a figure from our history, it still would have been our history, reaching out to touch us in a very meaningful way. These quilt tops from the past were such a gift. We will all have something my Great-Grandmother made. You have no idea what that means to us. So special. Beyond words. I don't even mind having to do most of the repairs by hand. Please think about this before you give them away. Sure, current generations have all they want. How about future generations? How about us great-grandchildren, and farther on down the line?

Just something to think about. I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip on you or anything like that. But please do give it some time, and don't rush into a hasty decision you might later regret.

Cheers!
    MacThayer

It really depends on if they are washable, you could back them with a nice quilter cotton, do a border. then hand tie/tack the crochet blanket in place. They could be donated to a women's shelter, nursing home or hospice center. That is if they are washable. Good luck with what ever you decide, knowing they will be used and loved as respect to the maker.
    Daisydoodle
    Plant a garden and watch for miraclesÂ….

Blog Entries
    Please don' cut them, leave as is. This was your mums craft as quilting is yours. If there are squares not sewn together by all means use them in a quilt. If you don't want them all maybe other family members would like a blanket.

gmkfit, Hve you and your family go through the ones they want to keep, then donate the rest to a charity. There are many who lost their home to fire and could use these. Check with your Red Cross chapter as they could give them out when they see a fire victim.
    Red Cross chapters do not have many funds and now they are giving out debit cards that a family would then have to pay for that blanket. (They use to give out comfort kits but some chapters don't do this anymore.)
    If you cut these up, they will unravel into a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmkfit View Post
    My Mom has recently passed after a long illness. I was in her home in CT looking through the upstairs closet and found bags of crocheted blankets. I knew during the times she felt well she would crochet blankets for futute use, but had no idea of how many there were. I can envision making pillows?? or incorporating them into a quilt?? I have never seen anything like it but know somewhere out there one of you may be able to help me bring something together. The challange is cutting the crocheted items!!! without them ravelling into nothing. Help! I can envision a quilt block with the blanket square in the middle. Any ideas?
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

I agree, don't cut them up. If your immediate family, extended family & your special friends can't use them, donate them to a charity that you know your mom liked.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

This suggestion is just off the top of my head, but I would sew down what you want to save on to fabric before cutting it out. Then surge well after cutting. It might be worth a try on one you don't especially like. Another suggestion is to give them to a nursing home or something like that....

What a treasure to find the stored afghans at your mother's. As the others have said, I would leave them intact. Next I would try to place some more of them with relatives or your mother's friends. I would store them for future grands. (I am storing at least ten baby afghans for my future grandchildren, and my mother has been gone for almost 26 years.) If you still have too many to keep or store, assisted living or nursing homes would be my pick to place them. Those homes always have residents in need of a throw and many who don't have relatives to care for them. Good luck on your task. You must carefully make each decision so as not to be upset with the outcome at a later date.

First I want ya'll to know that my loss has nearly been 3 yrs & am getting better. We cleaned out my DFIL's house 4 months after he died. DMIL was living with me & I wasn't able to go & help my family clean it out. (DMIL has Alzheimer's.) I now wish that I had been able to help, maybe even save his ties or suits. They were donated to a charity. The furniture is in storage & I'm just now getting emotionally ready to use it.
    My mother has saved my Dad's ties for me! My whole family wished that we had waited a year or more till we had cleaned out the house. I hope that my experience will help anyone else during a loss!
    My family did find 6 quilts that had belonged to some of the family!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

If nobody in the family would like any than I would donte them to a hospital or a shelter. My husband works at a dialysis unit and a guild in our town made quilts and gave one to each patient receiving dialysis. They get cold during their procedure. You could donate these. Or use as shower gifts if you know someone who may have known your Mom. Best wishes.
    Sharon

You might be able to put some small one together by stitching them together by hand with yarn, that is if there are any that would look together. But I agree with everyone else, don't cut them. I've crocheted for over 30 years and thankfully I and now in the process of crocheting, sewing and quilting for a grand-baby that is on the way. One suggestion that I could make is that you could get in contact with a Linus group; I'm sure that they would be happy to receive any that you would lake to give away. But please keep some in remembrance of your Mother.

jkretz
    J Kretz

Quote Originally Posted by gmkfit View Post
    My Mom has recently passed after a long illness. I was in her home in CT looking through the upstairs closet and found bags of crocheted blankets. I knew during the times she felt well she would crochet blankets for futute use, but had no idea of how many there were. I can envision making pillows?? or incorporating them into a quilt?? I have never seen anything like it but know somewhere out there one of you may be able to help me bring something together. The challange is cutting the crocheted items!!! without them ravelling into nothing. Help! I can envision a quilt block with the blanket square in the middle. Any ideas?
    if you stitch around the edges of the pieces as you cut them you will keep them from unraveling or coming apart. i used to knit sweaters a lot and this was one of the ways of finishing of a nicey nice one that was lacy.
    also...i am arthritic and though i crochet and knit...i would rather quilt. but, i buy the most lovely afghans at estate/yard sales made by the makers children who are always glad to hear that the work of thier beloved mother/auntie/grmother will continue to be used and cherished. and i do...use and cherish them. i have several around the house for guest bed and my chairs. and they are always admired and i get asked..."did you make that? it's beautiful!!!"
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast