Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What to do with Mom's crocheted blanket???

Quote Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
    Take pictures of them, and give them to a charity that your mother would of liked. They would really appreciate getting them. And everyone in the family can enjoy looking at the pictures and remembering how much you and your mother help others.
    wow! what a great idea. i didn't think of that. i photograph all that i make [dh idea and he follows up to make sure i do it ] and i have done the same with the quilts/quilt tops that i inherited fr my gramma. the photos are a record and the afghans have home where they will be much needed and appreciated. a friend & i used to make them along with slippers and take them to the nearest senior home. we lived in a high mountain town and the winters were long and cold. they were much appreciated over achey knees, wrapped around tired old shoulders.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Blog Entries
    Why would you cut them? There is no need. Use them for what you Mom made them for; to keep you warm just as they are. If you feel you must back them, back them to a flannel blanket by tying them on at the corner of the squares just like you would a quilt. Tks. GiGi

Blog Entries
    Use them, rotate them like you do children's toys. Each time you will find something you hadn't seen on them. G

crocheting is a dying art. If you try and cut it, it will ravel out and you will have nothing but pieces of yarn.

As long as the family members have afghans from your mom, contact a local charity or senior citizens' home. Her afghans will be welcomed somewhere with loving thoughts of the kind lady who made them. Think of the smiles they will bring.

Blog Entries
    I would box them up and as each one of the future children get married I would wrap up one up and give it to them as a gift from her.

Blog Entries
    Personally I also crochet and I don't think it possible to cut them apart and the crochet item not fall apart. If you find a way please post and let us know. Maybe if all family members has all the crochet afgans that they want. Finding someone or a place to donate maybe. Good luck. I'm sure it is a very hard decision. I want to give you my condolences. I know how hard it is to lose someone so close.
    Connie

I do crochet tops for quilts, and like any material unless you know what type of fibers make up the yarn you can do nothing good with all ready completed treasures. Enjoy your find or pass them on.
    Nothing beats a try but a failure.
    We all fall short of the mark.

Smile Here's What To Do

OK, since the extended family all have multiple afghans from your mom, here's how you make pillows, etc, without destroying the crochet. Take a piece of t-shirt fabric larger than the size pillow you want to make (woven fabrics will not work for this). Lay it out flat. Carefully lay the afghan on top, making sure not to create wrinkles in the t-shirt fabric. Pin in place. Pin a sheet of tissue pager on top of the afghan (to protect it from the presser foote). Using a basting stitch, stitch through all layers. Then stitch again 1" outside of the first stitching. Use scissors to carefully cut between the two rows of stitching (this way both the piece you will use and the leftover piece will be protected from unravelling.).
    Hope this helps.

Dee
    Please don't destroy them. A lot of loving work and labor went into them.

Blog Entries
    I would just use them as is. I would definitely not cut them up.I crochet and i would be extremely be upset if someone cut up one I crocheted. Enjoy your Mom's blankets. It's a lot work and you should treasure them. Come up with a creative idea to display them. Like i would love to find a old ladder from the past and lean it against the wall and display my afghans and quilts. Put it over a chair or the back of your sofa. Fold long ways at the end of a bed. There's tons of ideas Im sure.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Yes there is actually a way to make the afghan part of a quilt. You can actually sew a bigger square than what you need then sew fabric around it. If I can find a picture where I sewed crochet blocks with fabric blocks and still put a back on it just like a quilt. I love it. It's one of my favorites. I will look tomorrow and see if I can get a picture posted for you all. But to cut up someone elses work I could never do that. Ihope this helps.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmkfit View Post
    My Mom has recently passed after a long illness. I was in her home in CT looking through the upstairs closet and found bags of crocheted blankets. I knew during the times she felt well she would crochet blankets for futute use, but had no idea of how many there were. I can envision making pillows?? or incorporating them into a quilt?? I have never seen anything like it but know somewhere out there one of you may be able to help me bring something together. The challange is cutting the crocheted items!!! without them ravelling into nothing. Help! I can envision a quilt block with the blanket square in the middle. Any ideas?
    I'm sorry but hearing "cut" and "crochet/knit" in the same sentence makes me sick to my stomach.

Questions??????? Are you intending to keep the blankets in the family?

If you are just trying to use them up, contact a nursing home or such. Maybe they can use them.

The only changes I'd make would be to possibly trim them out with additional yarn------------if you know how to crochet. Outside of that, don't alter them.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by gmkfit View Post
    I guess I need to explain, me, my sisters, my children, every relative or friend has already received many... of her afphgans, I just wanted to get creative to find a new way to display them, rather than keep them in a box.

Just don't cut!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I would just use them as is. I would definitely not cut them up. Crocheted afghans are great all by themselves. They do not need fabric to make them better. Enjoy your Mom's blankets.
    I agree. Not everything needs to be made into a quilt.

Blog Entries
    Did you go to the NEC a few years age when the knitted quilt was there? It was a quilt so to be in the show must have had 3 layers. It looked as if it hd. Been hand quilted down the seams of the knitted blocks. I thought about putting a crochet quilt in but due to health problems had to stop. My plan was to crochet a top on blocks then find a batting which I could dry and would hold its colour, if this did not work dye muslin or something similar to show through the gaps in crochet. Then backing and finally try to quilt in the seams . In my head it worked.
    Finished is better than a UFO

gmkfit - This thread is about a year old. What did ya decide ta do?
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3