Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do next week? >

What to do next week?

What to do next week?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Google Goddess

Do you enjoy piecing by hand? I started making the hexagons from the plastic templates "Quilt Patis" and they are so fun to make and very addictive. Enjoy!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Have you thought about preparing machine appliques?

I trace a pattern onto freezer paper, staple about 5 additional layers underneath it, cut the shape out (makes 6). If you can bring an iron, you can then iron the shapes onto the wrong side of your fabrics, cut around them 1/2-1/4", then glue or paste the edges under. (I use Elmer's washable school paste and my finger; most people use washable glue sticks.) You can iron them again when finished so they lie flat.

Once you get back, you will have about a zillion appliques ready to machine sew onto backing blocks.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM

Prism-
not to hijack this, but what kind of stitch do you use to machine applique these? Width too,please. I may just have to try this.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM

May I ask what is the difference between english paper piecing and paper piecing?
A
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM

English paper piecing is done by placing your fabric on a particular shape of paper (usually postcard thickness) and basting the fabric on this after that you then hand stitch the pieces together, release the paper. Most of it is done with hexagons like Grandmothers Flower Garden. Foundation paper piecing is all done on the machine and I think Carol Doak is a master at that. I took her class many years ago and if you go to her web site you can check it out.
I did a queen size GFG using English paper piecing. I bought the shapes already per cut.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
English paper piecing is done by placing your fabric on a particular shape of paper (usually postcard thickness) and basting the fabric on this after that you then hand stitch the pieces together, release the paper. Most of it is done with hexagons like Grandmothers Flower Garden. Foundation paper piecing is all done on the machine and I think Carol Doak is a master at that. I took her class many years ago and if you go to her web site you can check it out.
I did a queen size GFG using English paper piecing. I bought the shapes already per cut.
Thanks for letting me know. I think I'd probably like the English paper piecing best.
Andi