Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What to do with an oversized quilt top

What to do with an oversized quilt top

I made a quilt that was set on the diagonal. I made a measuring mistake. Instead of making 6" blocks, I made 8" blocks. As I was making it, I thought that it was really big. When I finished the top, it really was huge! It covered the top of my queen size bed to the floor. And I haven't even put the borders on it. I'm leaving out the borders. I was going to hand quilt it, but I'd be quilting into the next century if I did that.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with it. It would be too huge for me to handle with my domestic machine. It costs a fortune to pay to have it done. Because it's on the diagonal, I can't just rip it in half. If I rip it on the diagonal, I'll end up with bias edges of maybe 5 feet and the edges would be all wonky from ripping out the stitches. But that may be my only solution.

Any suggestions?
    Penny

Blog Entries
    You could still cut it into 3rds to quilt it then put it back together-- there are tutorials to show how to do this. Then you could sell or gift it to someone with a king sized bed. You might even show it off & find someone who would like to buy it, then factor in the cost of longarm quilting to send it out. I always get a 50% deposit on a sale which would more than cover the cost of the quilting, then remainder due upon completion.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    You don't have to cut the top into thirds in order to quilt it in sections. What you do instead is cut the *batting* into thirds. This reduces the bulk considerably, especially when quilting the middle. There are some tricks to doing this so you don't end up with a mess. Try searching for "quilt in sections" on the QB and you should pull up some old threads on this technique.

Edit: I found this old thread with some information.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t268061.html

Blog Entries
    I make a lot of quilts on the diagonal. I also hand quilt them. stay stitch on the diagonal first heavily starch it so it won't stretch then quilt it by hand. I do it all the time and I know you can too.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have done that before, worked on a quilt and ended up with a monster. I got out my seam ripper and removed the outer blocks on all sides. With the extra I made pillow shams. Not seeing your quilt, you may not be able to do that. But, in the long run, it was better to have a quilt I could use than a monster I couldn't use.

Prism99 that is so clever!

I have done the one third at a time method cutting the batting and it works wonderfully.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Tie it! You can always have it quilted later.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    You can also sew a row of stay stitching just under a quarter inch from where you want to cut. Reduce your stitch length a bit and make sure you don't stretch while stitching. Then you can just cut the excess off even if it's on the bias because the stay stitching will keep it from stretching. When you add your borders this will stabilize everything. For added stability, you can also heavily spray starch the area you are going to cut first.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1507
Size:  1.28 MBThis quilt was about 18-20" too wide before borders. I just took it off one side, added borders and will use the ther for pillow shams.

I would just trim it leaving a 1/4" seam line from the point (of the width you would like the quilt to be) and make the blocks cut in half become the setting triangles like I did with this quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Is it truly too big for your bed or are you questioning how to quilt it? I recently finished a 115"X 115" Bethelem Star quilt on my Janome domestic machine 6600P with no trouble, has a 9" throat. I marked each corner and set- in pieces with patterns and stitched in the ditch the center star. It turned out beautiful. It, too, was larger than I intended,

I do this, make my quilts large enough to touch the flooring, and then include a border. My thoughts, and it's been proven, is this quilt will usually be on the top of other quilts on the bed...and thus it is raised up due to the underlying blankets. I used to make my quilts smaller in size, so those are the ones that go underneath my larger quilts...I have a few so I can change which one I want on the bed that week.

Perhaps you can contact this place http://www.happycrafters.net/

I believe a few QB members have used them and have been happy. They do not charge much at all for LA quilting of an all over pattern. If your quilt is oversized you will need to contact them but I bet you will be surprised at the low cost. I know I could never compete with this place. I honestly don't know how they do it so cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Perhaps you can contact this place http://www.happycrafters.net/

I believe a few QB members have used them and have been happy. They do not charge much at all for LA quilting of an all over pattern. If your quilt is oversized you will need to contact them but I bet you will be surprised at the low cost. I know I could never compete with this place. I honestly don't know how they do it so cheaply.
    They do have awesome prices!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't cut it but would do the batting and backing in 3rds. So many backings look like strips anyway!

I used Happy Crafters and was very pleased with the finished product and the price !

Oversize quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
    I made a quilt that was set on the diagonal. I made a measuring mistake. Instead of making 6" blocks, I made 8" blocks. As I was making it, I thought that it was really big. When I finished the top, it really was huge! It covered the top of my queen size bed to the floor. And I haven't even put the borders on it. I'm leaving out the borders. I was going to hand quilt it, but I'd be quilting into the next century if I did that.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with it. It would be too huge for me to handle with my domestic machine. It costs a fortune to pay to have it done. Because it's on the diagonal, I can't just rip it in half. If I rip it on the diagonal, I'll end up with bias edges of maybe 5 feet and the edges would be all wonky from ripping out the stitches. But that may be my only solution.

Any suggestions?
    Hi pennypal, I may be able to help. If you want email me and we can talk. How much are you anticipating paying if someone quilts it for you? Email: [email protected]

I certainly wouldn't cut it! If it remains too large after the quilting, then use it as a gift for someone and a learning experience. If the quilting process is too much or too expensive, see if there isn't someone who would barter with you to get the quilting done....if she does the quilting, you will piece her next top. There are always ways to get it finished!