Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do people do with all those smaller quilts >

What do people do with all those smaller quilts

What do people do with all those smaller quilts

Old 02-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

There are many uses for a smaller quilt. A wall hanging, a table topper or a lap quilt are a couple uses that come to mind.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:23 AM

I make doll quilts for Operation Christmas Child (to pack in a shoebox with a doll and other goodies for a little girl). They are generally about 18x20, give or take. It's a great way to practice certain blocks without a big commitment. It gives me a chance to start something and finish it in fairly short order .

You can also donate to almost any kind of charity where your heart is inclined to comfort people, from babies in a local NICU, to veterans, to children in crisis (ask your local police dept), to cancer patients. The sizes will vary depending on the recipient and you will feel good in creating something that will make someone else feel special if you don't have use for it but still enjoy the process.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:33 AM

We have quilts all over the house. LOL!! The grandkids love to drag them around and play on them. We have hardwood floors and they get so cold in the winter. Some are on the couch in the living room to snuggle under, some in the family room for DH. He loves to watch TV covered in them. I put a couple on the beds for extra warmth. We have a pop-up camper and travel trailer and quilts are in there for cool summer nights or picnic tables. We love to go to the drive-inn in the summer and lay quilts on the ground to sit on if we get tired or the kids get sleepy. And I love giving them away. Usually it is my oldest DD who claims them once they are finished.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I have some friend who use them on tables.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:44 AM

I am not a fan of quilts on beds. I just don't like the look. So mine are in the 50x65 range to be snuggled under while watching tv or reading.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
The quilts I make now are about 45 x 60 and they are throws for the sofa. . . I like to quilt a piece of this size. It's not too bulky and it goes quickly. Making bed sized ones are not fun to me and I'm in it for the fun!
I'm with you on this one. I just finished a king size quilt and sent it to the LAQ. It was fun in the beginning but as it grew it was just too bulky to enjoy. Even the top was a wrestling match to put together. I can't imagine quilting one that size on my domestic machine. I don't see many more that size in my future.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank View Post
I love quilting and I do my actual quilting by hand. I long to make so many designs but know I am limited by time. As I look at patterns, I see so many that are not bed size. Most of these are in the 40 X 50 range. So I am asking for comments on what you do with these size quilts? I have one I throw on my couch but one is most likely all I will need. I have made 3 smaller than bed size for my daughters that they will either use on the couch or hang. So tell me what you do with them please so maybe I will be inclined to make a few more.
I believe the size referenced is good for wheelchair quilts for donation to nursing homes or veterans hospitals. I also think that is a good size for baby/child quilts for Project Linus.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Project Linus.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm just getting into NICU quilts. very rewarding. they can be 12 x 15 or larger. right now i'm doing about 18 x 24. you can use a block and border it or do a mini quilt. the babies don't care and the parents are grateful.
have a block you don't like, border it and you have a NICU quilt.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I am not a fan of quilts on beds. I just don't like the look. So mine are in the 50x65 range to be snuggled under while watching tv or reading.
What do you use on your beds?