Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What to do with "Satin" fabric

What to do with "Satin" fabric

I have a lot of "satin" fabrics from making banners, etc. It is labeled costume satin and some are just satin. They all are 100% polyester and washable. I would like to make a quilt but, in my opinion, they wouldn't work for the quilts I make. I am a traditional pattern person and don't think very well "outside the box". Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Will post pics if I get a project started.

If you are the entrepreneur type of person, you could do AG doll princess outfits and sell them on places like ebay.
    Baby Lock Ellisimo-^-Baby Lock Ellageo-^-Brother PQ1500s-^-1947 Featherweight.
    Janome 19660-^-Baby Lock Serger-^-Singer Serger-^-Accuquilt Go & Brother ScannCut.

Blog Entries
    Jean, this idea isn't very original or "exciting," but I have an aunt who used to make lots of wedding/bridesmaids dresses. She took the leftover satin, taffeta, silk fabrics, cut them into squares, quilted them to flannel backing using decorative stitches (SID) and used them as bed coverlets. Nothing fancy but looked nice on her guest beds. Some pieces she put to use in pillows with lace trimming. I know you'll find some use for those fabrics!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of using decorative stitches!

What I would do is wash the satin and then starch it heavily before cutting (to stabilize it). My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this on the yardage using a large wall painting brush, toss in dryer, then iron with steam (although with polyester you might want to remove the yardage from dryer while still damp and use a cooler iron on it without steam). This treatment would make the satin much easier to handle, both for cutting and for piecing. I would probably cut large squares and use a half-inch seam (because satin ravels easily).

I really like the idea of quilting these squares to a flannel backing using decorative stitches. I would wash and dry the flannel a couple of times first, then use the heavy starching method on the flannel backing. I would spray baste the two layers together, then do the decorative stitching as the quilting method. Starching both top and flannel backing would practically guarantee no puckers, and the starching would likely eliminate the need for stabilizer.

Why not combine the satin with matching velvets and make a traditional victorian quilt? I think those are beautiful and so comfortable as throws to cover up with on a sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Why not combine the satin with matching velvets and make a traditional victorian quilt? I think those are beautiful and so comfortable as throws to cover up with on a sofa.
    This was the first thing to come to my mind as well. 2 years ago at the Bennington quiltfest someone did a traditional victorian with lots of satin and velvet and loads of decorative hand embroidery stitches and embellishments. They even did flower applique out of satin. I am sure it was tons of fun to make and it was gorgeous to boot. Pictures are posted here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...st-t25771.html scroll down a bit it is the 5th message on the thread (I only knew how to post 3 pictures at a time back then!)

I was going to suggest a crazy quilt too. I am making a wall hanging that I will put a frame around. Lots of velvets, satins, brocades. Embroidery, beading silk ribbons and embellishments of all kinds, even a crochet glove and antique hankie.

piney

Power Poster
    I think I would use 18 inch squares of the satin fabric to do QAYG squares. I would them put the squares together to do a quilt.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Crazy quilts
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I would do something that has large pieces and do a bigger than 1/4" seam since this fabric tends to fray easily.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Crazy quilts, exactly what I was thinking. You could even liven them up with some fancy stitching in complementing colors. If you have an embroidery machine, that would work too. Have fun and let us see what you do.
    Kitsy