Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with starched leftover fabric? >

What to do with starched leftover fabric?

What to do with starched leftover fabric?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Thanks ladies! Sounds like bugs aren't a big concern then. Weezie, I do use just store bought starch already made up. I think I'll get some lavendar and throw it in my bins though. I love the smell so if it keeps bugs away and makes my fabric smell nice, it's a win/win situation! :)
Do you think placing bars of lavendar soap would have the same effect?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
What a wealth of information we have here

Where do you buy lavendar? What kind do you put in with fabric? What type do you put in the water so it doesn't damage the fabric with spots?

Thanks
Ditto.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 AM

I live in Texas also and I have had trouble with a moth that loves starch. Never had that problem in other states. Maybe these moths are playmates for the Giant Roach. LOL
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 AM

I think this probably depends on the climate wherever you live. In humid areas you will have problems with bugs - less so in dry climates.

I find scraps can accumulate quite quickly. So I try to sort and deal with them just as quickly, too. If the scraps are strips I will store them together or cut them up in squares and keep them by the sewing machine to use them when I start and end sewing on another project. You can actually get quite a bit sewn with this system. So little by little I build up on a second project (usually just a simple 4-patch charity quilt).

Odd shaped scraps I use to make fabric collage. Just use some kind of stabilizer, spray baste it lightly, lay the scraps on top and stitch down with free motion or embroidery stitches. This will leave you with a piece of "fabric" that you can use for a small project. If you are concerned with the starch, you could wash this piece at this point also.

And then I always keep an old pillowcase by the sewing machine for the oddest or ugliest scraps. Once the pillowcase is full I sew the opening closed and have a pillow/cushion for my cat or dogs. Since it is stitched close, I can just throw the whole thing in the washing machine. This would also get rid of the starch.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 AM

I've been wondering about this for some time and am finally getting around to asking. I starch my fabic right before pressing then throw any leftovers back in my stash, or the scrap bin. I have read about silverfish (I think that's the bug) being attracted to the starch. Rewashing seems like a pain, especially for small pieces, but I don't want bugs in my stash either. So what do those of you who starch do with your leftovers?
You could put the scraps in one of those lingerie bags and then wash them. I've also heard that you should wash the starch out of the actual quilt, too, before you give it or use it.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I throw mine back in the stash and I don't/haven't had any problems with bugs of any kind.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
What a wealth of information we have here

Where do you buy lavendar? What kind do you put in with fabric? What type do you put in the water so it doesn't damage the fabric with spots?

Thanks
I'm not sure where to buy lavendar either, but like the idea of putting it with fabric to keep the bugs out!

What type of store sells lavendar?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 AM

My quilt guild put this starch recipe out recently in a newsletter (won't attract bugs). "This is a substitute for Best Press starch. Works the same, no white flakes when you iron. Smells good and puts back the body removed by prewashing."
Mix together:
1 tsp lavender essential oil (found in Walmart candlemaking supplies) Note: optional if allergic to scents.
3 oz. vodka
Then add to 24oz distilled water in large spray bottle and shake well.
Hint: Vodka is made from potatoes , a natural starch.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

I've been wondering about this for some time and am finally getting around to asking. I starch my fabic right before pressing then throw any leftovers back in my stash, or the scrap bin. I have read about silverfish (I think that's the bug) being attracted to the starch. Rewashing seems like a pain, especially for small pieces, but I don't want bugs in my stash either. So what do those of you who starch do with your leftovers?
I had them once when I lived in NYC and I never use starch
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I would not put lavendar in my stach. I find it overpowering.