Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with this >

What to do with this

What to do with this

Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Default What to do with this

I purchased a panel on EBay. It is a Thomas Kincaid print of Holiday Gathering. I didnt notice it was fleece. I thought it was cotton. Its pretty good size. What can I do with it?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Make a throw out of it
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Power Poster

I agree if it is big enough make a throw.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Pillow cushion to go on the floor. There is tute 4 pillows and fabric make a child's or teenagers for sitting on floor.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Wash it a few times, as it is likely to shrink. Then like others have said make a throw to use while sitting or watching TV.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM

I have made a TON of lap size throws with fleece and they are wonderful. Pick a nice color cooderanting fabric for the back, lay them wrong sides together....NOT right sides together and pin like you would for a quilt. Begin to FMQ in the center working your way out...just like a cotton quilt but for fleece. I would only go around a few of the designs in the fabric....you do not need to FMQ the entire thing with scrolls, feathers, etc.....just enought to hold the pieces together and being fleece, they want to stick together! By the time you get to the edges, again, you work from the center to the edges, you will find the backing fabric is probably larger than the pannel, that is why you start in the center and keep adjusting the pins and smoothing out the pannel fabric to keep it flat and smooth...that is why you will find the backing fabric larger when you get to the end of your FMQ. Now, you can either turn the backing fleece to the front and stitch it down for the binding or add binding like you would do for a cotton quilt. The ones I have made get a lot of use and are warm beyond belief!! I am not a fan of cutting the fringe on the sides because you loose about 10-12 inches from the body of the quilt and those d*mn strings get caught on everything!!

I do not prewash fleece as I don't think it shrinks like cotton....cool wash and warm dry...NO BLEACH!!

Last edited by jodimarie; 12-12-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Wash it & back a quilt with it, I use it alot with warm and natural batting & just quilt as normal. I like a nice soft quilt with quilting about every 4+ inches, not the all over panto stitching.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM

I have made many fleece throws. I buy a complimentary solid a little larger than the pretty panel. Trim the selvages, then lay them out back to back with the pretty one on top. bring the back edge over the smaller one - about an inch or 1 1/4. Miter the corner as you fold. Stitch it down and you have a nice frame for your panel. I don't quilt or tie these and they stay together nicely. If I'm purchasing fleece, I buy 1 1/3 yards and 1 1/2 yards. Very warm without a lot of weight and wears like iron. I don't prewash unless it seems wacky. Knits are wound on the bolts while still warm and can be off kilter, but I haven't had that much in nicer ones.