Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Beautiful quilt. I would fix it.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM

I finished a quilt for my MIL for my husband. She made her first quilt when she retired from teaching 3rd grade. She used ivory muslin and stitched a candlewick design in each block. then she put them together with 2 inch lace between the blocks and had the church quilters hand quilt it. It was beautiful! She had it on her bed when we were all there for a family dinner. We all asked "where is mine?" She was worried about a fight over the quilt after she died so she started in making a quilt like it for each of her 8 kids. She made the next one herself and then asked me for help. I cut blocks and serged the edges so they didn't fray when she embrideried them. I sewed some tops together and sewed lace on some and even hand quilted one for her. This took a long time for her to get them done. When she was 89, she ws going into a nursing home. We were visiting one night and she asked me about my quilting and I told her what I was working on. I asked about her quilting and she started to cry. She said she would not get the last one done before she died. The last one was for my DH because he is the youngest. I asked her if she would like me to finish it for her. She said "Would you?" and the tears were falling for both of us. She told my DH where to find the partially finished blocks and the cut blocks and the pattern books and sent them home with us for me to work on. She moved into the nursing home the following week. In the next 2 months, we spent a lot of time visiting her and her health took a down hill turn. We lost her at age 89 1/2. It took me about 6 months before i could get out the quilt to work on it and when I did, one block was missing. I put it away for a while. Later when we were going thru the house and getting things sorted, we found the missing partially finished block in her sewing basket. I knew I had to work on that quilt. I decided not to candlewick embroidery the untouched blocks and use the embrideried blocks she finished. That way the only embroidery on the quilt was hers. I quilted in a design in the unfinished blocks because quilting is my thing. It turned out beautifully. Sometime, I could actually feel her presense when I was quilting. It took me over a year to hand quilt it but my DH got his quilt from his mom. The rest of his brothers all treasure their quilts and now he has one too. My MIL was a wonderful woman and I loved her dearly. I miss her everyday but the quilt is like a warm hug from her.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 AM

I forget to mention that I typed the story of the quilt on the computer and printed it onto Printed Treasure fabric and stitched in onto the back of the quilt. Some stories sould not be forgotten or lost. You could finish your mom's quilt and add the story to it. We lose a lot of history when it is not written down. I would love to see finished pictures of it when you finish.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 AM

I have loved this quilting board from the day I found it, but never more than today. You wonderful, encouraging ladies have just filled my heart with your love, encouragement and beautiful suggestions. I will finish this quilt and repair the few little imperfections and you will see a picture of it completed some day. It may take awhile although I am anxious now to complete it and use it and cherish it. I have taken it out of it's bin many times, but it has taken me fifteen years to be ready to tackle it. Thank you for each suggestion and your loving words.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM

Another option, if you are concerned about seams and such...
Get a pretty piece of backing material just a bit larger than the finished portion and appliqué the DWR to it, then make blocks to encircle it that have a special meaning for you. Some possibilities could be: the 1st block she taught you, or patterns that the 2 of you worked on together, or blocks you remember watching her make. In this way you could have a tribute quilt to her, and her quilt to you.
Just a thought
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM

I would repair the really bad area's and finish it. My Mom crocheted and when she passed my 1/2 sister threw out all of her projects because they were not finished. Even after she was told I wanted them and all the yarns. I knew someone who could finish them. And we would all have the last projects she was making for each of us. I cherish the afghans she made for me.My son now 39 still has the ones she made him as a baby.They have been used and loved by all 6 of his babies. And eventually his Grand babies will enjoy the love that went into each stitch as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 AM

My condolences on the loss of your mother....regardless of how long she's been gone. Mine is 83 and a prolific quilter whose eyesight is beginning to wane also. I think you should take the seams apart that are troublesome....it will be like collaboration between you and your Mom....it's too beautiful a quilt to be anything less than a quilt....Unless you want to quarter it to make wallhangings for siblings. But mostly I'd say---do what you're comfortable with, whatever makes you feel good and don't feel guilty.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM

I would lovingly fix what I could, finish it up and use it. Maybe hang it for the world to see. It is beautiful
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Sorry for your loss, this thread made me cry, since I lost my mom in Nov 2011 and did not get any of her blocks that she had started. I did get some of the fabric back that I gave her, but no quilt. She made quilts for all of her grandchildren and as many of her greats as she could. Some were born after she passed away. The wedding ring quilt is beautiful and I would finish it with a label on the back so that your family knows its history. This board is the most wonderful bunch of ladies and gentlemen that are all so helpful if someone needs a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on. Hugs to all. Amy
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I would resew the seams and finish it up. It is beautiful and deserves to be finished. Just my 2 cents worth.