Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 AM

How about a wedding present for one of your children?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM

I agree. Fix it and use at the size it is. Enjoy it.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Granny Fitz4

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I agree. It is a beautiful quilt. I would finish it, fixing whatever I needed to, and then I would use it.

Dina
I agree it is a beautiful quilt. I would finish it. I like the idea of applique in the holes or mistake area. My daughter has a quilt I made for my mother. I have crewel embroidered pictures my mother made and they are special to me. I also have a quilt my MOL made and it appears to be old dress and apron fabric. It is ugly, but I love it. Someday I must mend it. A mother and daughter made a quilt of the Fathers flannel shirts.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM

finish it, all her flaws give the quilt personality.....
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Have you considered a "pillow topper"? I sure would want to use it some way.....But, like you, I'm not sure I would want to finish something that was not the way I would do it, even if it was done by my Mom.....I'd try my best to preserve what she has done and love it!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM

I would finish it as she wanted. Fix what needs fixed. In the course of your life I am sure you mother fixed many of your mistakes with love. Consider this the circle of life and love.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM

I started a DWR years ago and did not finish it. The story is a long now but eventually I finishd it. I decided I would not hurry, I would work on it as long as I have emotional strength to do so and it would get done when it was done. Happily I finished it. While working on it I did so much thinking and remembering and alot of great emotional healing. I named it the journey quilt because it had travelled with me through so many trials, tribulations, changes and triumphs. It turned out so so beautiful! Truly an heirloom and the most gorgeous thing I ever made. I gave it to my youngest son when he graduated from medical school 2 years ago.
My point is, you just never know what a quilt will give to you and how it will end up. I do urge you though not to put it away again in the back of the closet. You've got a fantastic start, leave it out, lay all the pieces you have out and let it percolate and do a little talking to you. Then you'll know. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your finished project. But there is no deadline!!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

It's a beautiful quilt top. I would try to get it finished either the size it is as a lap quilt to cuddle under on the couch or as a bed size. It looks to be a good wallhanging size already!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

I would finish it as it is-I think it looks lovely. A special reminder of your Mum.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Oh Angel, that is so pretty! I would only fix what was really necessary and go with the rest. You will treasure it because your mother made it for you--imperfections and all.