Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do with.... >

what to do with....

what to do with....

Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

those scraps are gonna make one yummy quilt, and a spider web sounds like just the one...can't wait, but leave out the real spiders, please :shock: :lol:
Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

i don't know, but sure are pretty. you can always send to me lmao :lol:
Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 AM

Spider Web pattern will look great with those fabrics!
BTW, thanks for the website. She certainly has some
beautiful quilts and is giving me more ideas!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM

fabric is beautiful....never heard of the spider web quilt if someone has a pic I'd like to see it. Sounds great way to use those small strips....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 AM

I am thinking that you have plenty material to make a spiderweb, if you purchase the material to make the center star. Here's my reasoning: a 12.5 in spiderweb block is made of 4 sections. Each section has 3 areas, two of which are the string portion. So at least 2/3 of the area of the block is made up of the string portion. But the string portions are larger than the star portion so I am rounding up to 3/4 to play it safe. One 12.5 block is 156.25 square inches and 3/4 of that is 117.1875, say 120 to make it easy to work with. Now that doesn't account for the seam allowances, so double it to 240 square inches per block. If you make a 4 block by 5 block lap size quilt you will need 20 blocks or 240 x 20 = 4800 square inches of string material. Now lets use your smallest size piece which I understand to be 12 by 20 inches or 240 square inches. You have 30 of them, so that would be 7200 square inches. You need 4800 square inches (a high estimate) and you have 7200 square inches (a low estimate), so I think you have enough.

Does this seem right to you?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
these fabrics. these are all the left overs from a quilt I made, the quilt had 30 colors only 28 of them shown here. They all started out as fat quarters, the pieces range in size from 12-14"x20-22 inches.

I was thinking of doing a siderweb quilt but I don't know if I have enough craps here or not! How do you figure how much fabric you need to make a quilt like that? I don't have a stash of scraps that I could add to this. I am normally really good at math and figuring out patterns and stuff that that well it just scares me! lol
I looked at the website. She doesn't say what the yardage was. I bet you have more fabric then you think. It should be enough to make the spiderweb quilt. Your quilt will be beautiful.